Anyone tow a 7000lb camper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I tow a 27' long 6500lbs travel trailer and i can tell you it pulls it great...... you can pass trucks doing 70 uphill without a sweat...but MPG will suffer a little. I am right at max rear axle rating at 2 adults 2 kids and 2 dogs...and i have had to move stuff around the camper to get the tounge weight under control, I also did the rear hellwig bar and sumo springs. Overall i could not be happier.

Attachments

• 2021-04-10 18.54.32.jpg
    2021-04-10 18.54.32.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

hasher13

Reaction score
I don't have a 4th gen, but a 3rd gen with the HD tow package. I just bough an Forest River Alpha Wolf which weighs in about 7K. live in the NE and took it out a couple of weeks up and down the mountains. It did well. I was white-knuckling at the start, but then started to trust the truck. Hope that helps.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's squirrelly your tongue weight may be low. Tow haulers can be hard to setup because of the weight variance between loaded and unloaded.
I don't have a 4th gen, but a 3rd gen with the HD tow package. I just bough an Forest River Alpha Wolf which weighs in about 7K. live in the NE and took it out a couple of weeks up and down the mountains. It did well. I was white-knuckling at the start, but then started to trust the truck. Hope that helps.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
Only issue with expedition towing 30ft 7500lb trailer is on hot days when going slow down very steep windy mountain roads...expedition activates transmission braking in tow haul mode and transmission temp increases relatively fast... no problem above 50mph, but 6+% grades at 45mph on 90 degree afternoon pushes transmission into enabling extra cooler and you see 235-245 , not sure how it will handle extended passes..

GWK1

Reaction score
Towing a 31' TT loaded about 7000 with hvy dty tow pkg and no issues with mountains (power or braking); no trailer sway or erratic behavior. Equalizer WDH and HaloView Rearview camera make towing less stressful.

Last edited:

Knut

Reaction score
I have a Rockwood 2608WS, 30 feet tongue to bumpers, about 7000 lbs load My tongue weight is always between 750 to 800 lbs. Payload on my expi is 1560 lbs, only my wife and I ( about 400 lbs) in the truck when I tow so that leaves about 300 lbs leeway. Last scale stop showed about 150 lbs spare when loaded for a camping trip. All that said we took took a trip to Alaska in 2019 (15000 kilometers in all) and I was amazed with the towing capabilities of the expedition. The steepest hills were no problem. As mention engine brake is a little week, but I have a class 1 (CDL) drivers license so it’s not a big concern for me. Just need to adjust accordingly. As far as sway, with the short wheel base I find that on windy days I need to slow down to about 55 miles an hour to be comfortable but still get a bit the tail wagging the dog. The max hopefully will be much better as it adds 11 inches of wheel base. I also find that I get better gas millage when Tow in 7th gear instead of the computer selected 8th gear.
Hope this info helps. I will be interested in your results with the MAX, as I am considering trading up to one myself.
Interesting about towing in 7th instead of 8th
what kind of difference do you see?

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a 33' 7,600lb trailer and it's a bit much for my Expy Max w/HD tow. Power is no issue, but crosswinds and passing trucks push me around more than I'd like. I upgraded to a ProPride hitch, LT load range E tires, and Hellwig sway bars. It's better but not great. I'm waiting on Bilstein 5100s to arrive to see if those help (I've had 6 leaking factory shocks in 40k miles). I've been to the scale and my tongue weight is just under the 900lb max.

Molaf, I think a 26' 7,000lb trailer would work well with the Max. There's less surface area to be affected by wind and you can go to a higher percentage tongue weight than I can. I tow through the Appalachian Mountains and haven't had any issues. My transmission heats up on steep, slow inclines, but it's never overheated. Engine braking works well in most cases. I did go down a 14% hill that made me nervous, engine braking in 1st gear and still riding the brakes. But 99% of the time there's no problem. Honestly, I've had more issues with winds in the midwest plains that I have in the mountains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni