Apparently Expeditions suck offroad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all, I don't get my off road info from "journalists", especially those working at USA Today. When I do read a "journalist", i seek out those who are employed by specialty publications.
having said that, the article is an excellent example of their ignorance. this author has one definition of "off-roading"; it appears he thinks the only offroading is the extreme, any terrain, any time, type. many of us don't do that. those vehicles are toys, built for fun. they're great at what they do, but i don't want to do that. I did all of that I ever wanted to in my youth, when i got paid for it. Now, I prefer "expedition" class (pardon the pun) off roading, wherein the goal is the destination, not the trip. when i encounter difficult terrain, i go around. i have no interest in breaking my truck on tough terrain, i want to get somewhere not limited by built up roads. AND, i have ONE truck, the same one i use for daily driving. the Ford Expedition, and many others, do a good job of providing reasonable off road ability for an affordable cost, with reasonable reliability. etc.

Reaction score
I run my 01 stock and I go where I want to go now I dont rockcrawl or do the 9 foot deep mud hole but for running up and down the sand bars on the Arkansas river and muddy af dirt roads here in Kansas it does a great job. Still happy with my ex and the power is amazing for such a fat wide ride(355's gears)

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having had 2 Wranglers, 2 Tacomas, 1 4runner and 1 sequoia. The sequoia and this expy would be the worst as the trail got more difficult. Simply from a ground clearance, break over and entry angle standpoint as well as width of the vehicle and weight plus "stock" setup, the large SUVs are not great at "difficult" off roading without modification. They aren't meant to be. It's an apple to oranges comparison.

Why not take the same vehicles and compare towing large trailers or boats? It would be the same kind of unfair comparison in reverse.

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SNOW was apparently in short supply for their test....but SNOW is what most SUV drivers who don't need the size, buy suvs in the first place! Who gives a crap about bashing your crap to death on a hill....lets see how much snow THEY can navigate?

I have driven both my '99 and my '03 Expys in 24" of virgin snow with zero modifications....no lowered air pressure, nothing. They were both monsters in 4lo! MONSTERS!

In fact, a Suburban tried to use my tracks to leave the community, got dreadfully stuck and when leaving, I had to drive around him, again on virgin snow....while he sat stuck with a half dozen folks trying to get him out.

Do most of us need to take our expensive trucks on boulder strewn fire roads? Nope....but they do need to handle snow......period!

jeff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kia Sorento on the good offroader list?

I call bull, this is a hatchet job marketing piece. Or maybe they let their favored sponsors send over lifted vehicles with LT muck tires, and put baldie summer P's on the intended victims

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have say the 4runners are fine off roaders stock but they are designed to be. they are quite good on road too. I think they are the last mid or small sized SUV that is body on frame. Even the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a uni-body construction.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always interesting when they test these vehicle's on street rubber. With my stock continental tires not so good, then put on 33"Toyo A/T and wow almost went anywhere but issues with steep dirt inclines, then raised the vehicle and have 35" Toyo R/T and now those dirt inclines are no issue. This is a full-size SUV so we are not talking about Rock climbing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze