Are the cats why I have no engine power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2500.00 for an 03 with a bad motor? You came out better than I expected. As they used to say, see you in the funny papers!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2500.00 for an 03 with a bad motor? You came out better than I expected. As they used to say, see you in the funny papers!

My mechanic friend (who's working on fixing up the van right now) told me to "take it and run" so I did! he was only gonna be able to give me $1700 on a trade-in for a 2006 Yukon XL Denali but I don't wanna deal with a car payment right after dad's lost his job so I'm just drivin' grandma's van :)

Plati

Reaction score
$2500 for that beast is quite a score. Good for you!!
…bad for whoever bought it ……

I once sold a decrepit Honda Accord to a Dealer for $2500. It had a long list of problems, not the least of which was a blown head gasket. I drove it around town until it stopped belching smoke THEN stopped at Dealer to "make the deal". A few days later I was driving by there and it pulled out into traffic right in front of me BELCHING SMOKE.
-->Boy did I enjoy that<--

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$2500 for that beast is quite a score. Good for you!!
…bad for whoever bought it ……

I once sold a decrepit Honda Accord to a Dealer for $2500. It had a long list of problems, not the least of which was a blown head gasket. I drove it around town until it stopped belching smoke THEN stopped at Dealer to "make the deal". A few days later I was driving by there and it pulled out into traffic right in front of me BELCHING SMOKE.
-->Boy did I enjoy that<--

How in the world did you manage to pull that over on a dealer? And, heh, yeah, I'd love to see my old explorer rattling around somewhere, if it hasn't finally died yet

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The right ratio of rebuild in a can, followed up by straight 50 weight oil, for the rod knock, lifter tick, mix thorough,
arrive at dealership with temp gauge at no more than 160 degrees, then shut it down. Rotten thing to do, but if they screwed you in the past, paybacks a real ******!

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The right ratio of rebuild in a can, followed up by straight 50 weight oil, for the rod knock, lifter tick, mix thorough,
arrive at dealership with temp gauge at no more than 160 degrees, then shut it down. Rotten thing to do, but if they screwed you in the past, paybacks a real ******!

Heh, I kind of pulled something like that when I turned in my explorer- the exhaust had broken (cheap fix) and since it was so damn loud, you couldn't hear the timing chains, which was the much much more expensive problem! I'd feel bad about it, if the car I'd traded it in for hadn't also died :/

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only bought one car used from a dealer. 1985 mustang GT. Pretty black car. But right off the bat, had a 2 second knock on cold start, about 2 weeks after delivery, burned a quart of oil every 700 miles. Never buy a used black car. Dealer did a repaint of roof and hood from insurance payout after failed theft. Horrible scratched repainted paint. They didn't know how to color sand after paint. Used probably 600 grit, instead of 2500. Did I mention someone tried to steal it 2nd week I owned it. 8 months into owning it, got rear ended bad, totaled car. Never buy a black car on a Friday! I always buy off of private parties, and I never buy anything above 90 k if I can help it. I like a running start before plunking down duckets for parts and labor.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only bought one car used from a dealer. 1985 mustang GT. Pretty black car. But right off the bat, had a 2 second knock on cold start, about 2 weeks after delivery, burned a quart of oil every 700 miles. Never buy a used black car. Dealer did a repaint of roof and hood from insurance payout after failed theft. Horrible scratched repainted paint. They didn't know how to color sand after paint. Used probably 600 grit, instead of 2500. Did I mention someone tried to steal it 2nd week I owned it. 8 months into owning it, got rear ended bad, totaled car. Never buy a black car on a Friday! I always buy off of private parties, and I never buy anything above 90 k if I can help it. I like a running start before plunking down duckets for parts and labor.

I wouldn't ever buy a black car because of how hot it would get! Sure, I could fry eggs on the hood, but it would fry me too! Sure sounds like a disaster, too... what happened when it got totaled?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's really not that much different from black. Just tint the windows and it keeps the inside temperature down. The outside color doesn't have much to do with the inside temperature anyway. Black leather can absorb some sunlight with that window tint more than tan leather but all other will get hot if it's in the Sun.
It's also odd how even though the paint will get hotter to the touch certain colors that are darker don't fade or oxidize as badly as other colors. They have had such a problem for years with silver paint flaking and fading as black usually holds up just as well if not better. Dark Blues can be the worst and get a head haze on them or also flake off. It's more about keeping a good coat of wax on it then anything else.