Back yard mechanic fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tilliepeople

Reaction score
Recently the overdrive went out on my transmission.
I followed the YouTube videos and found the broken pieces from the spring clip.
My problem was in reassembling it.
I had a lot of trouble removing the old clip and reinstalling the servo.
My question is how hard/easy is it to damage the band if I reassembled it wrong.
I may have left a burr on the spring clip groove which is hanging up the servo or I may have damaged the band when my first attempt did not go in correct.
Wife wants to spend 2 to 3000 dollars and take it to a shop ,I would like the try again and get the burrs cleaned up so servo moves freely.
$50 bucks for fluid seems much less painful than a $3000 trans repair
2004 XLS 4X4 with a 4.6
Thanks
Bill

OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
I will not argue with that. If I had an extra $3000 I would never have bought it.
But I don't ,so I need to get this one fixed.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, no. Drain the fluid, go back in there. If need be, maybe one of the shops in your town can walk you through or help. We don't give up on something that easy. You've already diagnosed your problem, get back in there and fix it right. What's it going to take to remove the rest of the clip? If you can't finish it, find out who in your area can, and relatively cheap. If you have to tow it there. Before I'd plunk down $2500.00 or more on a SUV that's worth $2500.00, I'd locate a used trans and put that one in myself. Sounds like your on the right track, don't quit now. Maybe one of our Transmission pros wants to jump in?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
`I am pretty sure I got all the pieces but left a burr on the servo sleeve when removing the clip so the servo is stuck.
I am a little worried that when I first put the servo back in I hit the band and maybe damaged it.
The shops I have been to all want around $1000 just to pull/install the trany and that does not include any repairs.
I sure would like to take it apart if no one here feels I may have have damaged the band.
Thanks
Bill

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the servo back out and inspect it, the bore and the band. Then make an informed decision. Bands are flat brake shoes in a sense - all depends on what is damaged as to whether it is usable.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably. Inspect what you can once the servo is out. If the band is shot you'll know it during the test drive.

OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
Kind of afraid you were going to say that.
I hope it is just stuck but my luck has not been going that way lately.
Probably will not get at it until after the holiday but I will let you know the results.
Thank you
Bill

OP
OP
T

tilliepeople

Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to let you know the outcome.
Finally found time to pull the valve body again .
Harder this time because the locking tabs on the wire harness did not want to let go.
Took several attempts but I finally had the servo in and everything looked good.
This time I was successful and I have a working trany again.
Thanks for keeping me on track so I did not wind up with an expensive repair .
Bill