Bad wheel bearing at only 30k miles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Which make this totaly legit if you run in 4H 24/7 as you first posted.
Don't mention that to Ford or that warranty will be null and void. Willfully driving in a manner that is likely to cause damage to the driveshaft, trans, etc. is generally frowned upon.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
total BS

i drive it in 4A because i prefer the way the vehicle handles, therefore is safer. my roads are curvy as hell, steep hills, loose gravel all over. if for any reason i have to evade an accident with another vehicle, or a deer, at any speed, wet or dry, most especially higher speeds in this beast, 4A will keep my vehicle under optimal control PERIOD if i start to lose any traction. this alone makes me keep it in 4. i would like to see them try to deny a warranty claim on a drivetrain part of the vehicle because i use it “all the time.” that’s simply my choice. that’s why i bought this vehicle. 4WD is safer under any circumstance - whether constant or passive. manual states 4A can be used for ANY conditions with zero limitation. that means it’s my choice & if something stops working mechanically, that’s their problem. whether it wears parts out is irrelevant & that’s what the warranty is for.

so you basically are telling me when i put it in sport mode every day, which automatically switches to 4A, i’m risking warranty refusal? yeah right . here’s this cool drive mode - but if you use it every day it voids your warranty because you’re “willfully driving in a manner that will likely cause damage...”. maybe that mode switches to 4A because it actually handles better & has better traction - not to mention the driveline is designed to be used that way?

I'm telling you the same thing everyone else here - and any mechanic you ask - will tell you. Driving in 4H full-time will absolutely cause damage to your truck and invalidate your warranty. The truck was not designed to drive in 4H full-time and in fact your user manual explicitly tells you not to do it.

Now with all of that said, you explicitly said 4H in your initial post and now you're saying 4A. Those are two entirely different animals. You absolutely can drive in 4A all the time. You don't seem to know your **** from your elbow though.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right in the manual:

Note: Do not use 4H or 4L mode on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so can produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and could damage drive components.

Warranty overview states (pretty much the same as any warranty):

As the vehicle owner, you should also be aware that Ford Motor Company may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, or unapproved modifications.

Driving in 4H full-time when the manual explicitly states that doing so may cause damage to the drive components is absolutely abuse. The court reporter could rule on that case.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right in the manual:

Warranty overview states (pretty much the same as any warranty):

Driving in 4H full-time when the manual explicitly states that doing so may cause damage to the drive components is absolutely abuse. The court reporter could rule on that case.

sorry my bad that was a typo on the H so /

i don’t have 4H, only got 4A. always meant to say A on original post /

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The prior response from ManUporShutUp was based on your statement that you "actually run mine in 4H 24/7". I assume this was a typo and you meant to say 4A instead of 4H. If you ran it in 4H on dry roads it would definitely cause damage to your driveline. 4A is not an issue as you've mentioned.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The prior response from ManUporShutUp was based on your statement that you "actually run mine in 4H 24/7". I assume this was a typo and you meant to say 4A instead of 4H. If you ran it in 4H on dry roads it would definitely cause damage to your driveline. 4A is not an issue as you've mentioned.

totally a typo - totally my bad.

my eyes are getting terrible at night & this is a perfect example, even when i proofread it looked like it said “4A” . i think gotta keep my forum comments to the daytime hours.

that being said - as far as i understand it (even though i don’t know my *** from my elbow), there is literally no possible way to engage 4H in a gen4 expy - gen4’s (again AFAIK) ONLY 4 mode IS 4A. this being the gen4 forum, i certainly wasn’t meaning to lead anyone to believe i run my gen4 in 4H.

all that said - IMO 4A rules & i stick to that correctly spelled statement —.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my driver side front bearing replaced at 54k miles. Been hearing a grinding noise over the past 10k miles, thinking it was uneven tires or something else. Finally had them diagnose it and repair it under warranty. Quiet as an autumn breeze now.
Did they replace them under powertrain warranty? or extended warranty?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
totally a typo - totally my bad.

my eyes are getting terrible at night & this is a perfect example, even when i proofread it looked like it said “4A” . i think gotta keep my forum comments to the daytime hours.

that being said - as far as i understand it (even though i don’t know my *** from my elbow), there is literally no possible way to engage 4H in a gen4 expy - gen4’s (again AFAIK) ONLY 4 mode IS 4A. this being the gen4 forum, i certainly wasn’t meaning to lead anyone to believe i run my gen4 in 4H.

all that said - IMO 4A rules & i stick to that correctly spelled statement —.

4H/4L is still available on the 4th gens, but it's not automatically included on all 4WD trucks as it was in the past.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4H/4L is still available on the 4th gens, but it's not automatically included on all 4WD trucks as it was in the past.
On versions with the low range transfer case (HD tow), the choices are 2H, 4A, and 4L. The last button around the transfer case choices is the rear locker button. No specific button for 4H.

1631209651074.png