BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, ...... repeat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soldatlamour

Reaction score
2000 Ford Expedition
4.6L XLT

My odometer was fading then went out, so I did the "solder this connection" fix per this and other web sites. Not too bad of a job for someone with little skills.

The odometer worked when I started it up. It went out after a while - but seems to stay on now (only about 20 miles on it since the fix). I'll keep an eye out, and if the display goes dark again I'll pull everything out and re-solder that connection. While I had the instrument cluster opened I went ahead and replaced the 5 "illumination" bulbs and the check engine bulb.

But here is the problem......

Now when I start the vehicle I get an annoying warning sound (same sound as when the door is open with the engine on). 5 Beeps, a five second pause, 5 Beeps, ..... This goes on for five repetitions (about 1min 5 secs). Afterwards, the beeping stops and all is wonderful.

There are no open doors, everyone has their seat belts fastened. No warning lights on the cluster come on.

Any idea what is causing this ?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have access to the manuals right now but check to make sure the CEL bulb comes on during the self test of the instrument cluster. May also be a warning chime of modules not communicating with each other. Make sure all bulbs are functioning in the cluster.

Last edited:

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air Bag light being out will cause this, turn the key on and check for the light, if you dont see it that is your issue.

B

bedrck46

alaskanexpy, thanks for your post it helped me find the following in the workshop manual

Pinpoint Test AD: DTC B1869 — Air Bag Indicator Inoperative

Normal Operation

The air bag indicator is designed to illuminate for 6 (+/-2) seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. This initial 6 seconds of illumination is considered normal operation and is called prove out of the air bag indicator. The air bag indicator is then used to warn the driver that there is a fault in the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS).

The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the air bag indicator for open and short to ground conditions. If the RCM detects an open or short to ground condition on the air bag indicator circuit, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1869 in memory.

If the RCM detects an air bag indicator failure in addition to another SRS failure, the RCM will send a signal to the generic electronic module (GEM) to produce five sets of five tone bursts.

Possible Causes

An air bag indicator inoperative condition can be caused by:

damaged wiring on circuit 608 (BK/YE).
a damaged or burned out air bag indicator.
worn or damaged instrument cluster.
an RCM internal concern.

being you removed the instrument cluster you may want to recheck the connections in case the problem was caused by a bent pin etc when you reinstalled the instrument cluster

B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the 2000 Ford Owners Manual Page 118

Determining if the system is operational
The SRS uses a readiness light in the instrument cluster or a tone to
indicate the condition of the system. Refer to the Air bag readiness
section in the Instrumentation chapter. Routine maintenance of the air
bag is not required.
A difficulty with the system is indicated by one or more of the following:
The readiness light will either
flash or stay lit.
The readiness light will not
illuminate immediately after ignition is turned on.
A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat
periodically until the problem and light are repaired.
If any of these things happen, even intermittently, have the SRS serviced
at your dealership or by a qualified technician immediately. Unless
serviced, the system may not function properly in the event of a
collision.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank all of you for your help --- I'll check for the CEL and the Air Bag lights.

You guys on this forum are the nuts ! Again, thanks !!!

B

bedrck46

If you weren't having this problem before you removed the cluster then most likely it is a result of something you did Re-trace your steps and recheck your work. Kindly post an update after you get the problem resolved

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Fixed !

This past weekend I pulled out the instrument cluster and examined the bulb for the Air Bag. It was busted. I replaced it, and the issue is now resolved.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Now.... on to a new post about my Oil Gauge !