Best 3rd Gen to tow with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdjeterva

Reaction score
Currently running a 2005 with HD tow package, 205k miles. It still runs and drives ok, but I'm in the market for a newer one.

I'm in a different situation than most, retired now and it will basically be a travel and tow vehicle, probably 10k or less miles per year and I have some time to look for one as there's no rush.
I'm looking for an EL with the HD tow package, probably a 2010-14, I'm in SE Virginia and there's plenty of inventory to pick from in the 12-15k range with 75-100k miles. Even a few Navigators in the same price range.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming you will only be looking at one with an HD towing package, my only recommendation would be make sure to get the 3.73 gear ratio. I assumed all HD tow packages included 3.73 gears but I seem to have 3.31 gearing with my HD tow.

The other thing to consider is that a 3.5L Ecoboost will provide more torque than the 5.4L, at the expense of more "moving parts" to potentially break. I chose the 5.4L since I've had multiple turbo vehicles before and didn't want to deal with it.

OP
OP
M

mdjeterva

Reaction score
Assuming you will only be looking at one with an HD towing package, my only recommendation would be make sure to get the 3.73 gear ratio. I assumed all HD tow packages included 3.73 gears but I seem to have 3.31 gearing with my HD tow.

The other thing to consider is that a 3.5L Ecoboost will provide more torque than the 5.4L, at the expense of more "moving parts" to potentially break. I chose the 5.4L since I've had multiple turbo vehicles before and didn't want to deal with it.
I have had a couple of turbo vehicles, given the year/mileage I'm looking at I'd rather stay with a V8. I'm pulling a 4500lb camper, so I don't have to have the HD tow, but I'd like to have it in case we decide to get a larger one. It's just me and the wife camping now so we don't need or really want a gigantic camper, 22-25 ft is fine with us. My other consideration might be a F250 Super Cab in the same mileage/year range.

pastorjeep

Reaction score
The 07' and up Expys had a huge leap in towing capacity. I have an 05' as well and am looking for a newer one to tow with also.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My O8 has been great towing 6500. I did have equalizer hitch and anti-sway bars. Never knew it was back there unless I had to panic stop.

vincentrose

Reaction score
I would look at a 2014, it was the last year the 5.4L V8 was available. After that, the ONLY choice was a 3.5 Ecoboost, which MAY give you more power and torque but just like Mr Dave said, at the expense of more moving parts to potentially break. My problem the the 3.5L, is the added stress on the internal engine parts(Pistons, connecting Rods, Wrist pins, and a smaller crankshaft) normally carried by 8 cylinders are now carried by only 6 of them. This additional stress on these parts will most likely cause premature failure. This is why I bought a 2014 the 5.4L performs effortlessly, and the towing performance has exceeded my expectations every time

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look at a 2014, it was the last year the 5.4L V8 was available. After that, the ONLY choice was a 3.5 Ecoboost, which MAY give you more power and torque but just like Mr Dave said, at the expense of more moving parts to potentially break. My problem the the 3.5L, is the added stress on the internal engine parts(Pistons, connecting Rods, Wrist pins, and a smaller crankshaft) normally carried by 8 cylinders are now carried by only 6 of them. This additional stress on these parts will most likely cause premature failure. This is why I bought a 2014 the 5.4L performs effortlessly, and the towing performance has exceeded my expectations every time

I'm not aware of anyone breaking any of the internal engine components on the Ecoboost. By all accounts it is a very stout engine and is capable of handling 500+ horsepower in stock form. Upgrading engine internals to handle more loads is an engineering exercise. The parts that fail are other things, like cam phasers, turbochargers, throttle bodies, recirculating valves, etc. For heavy towing, I suggest the Ecoboost with an extended warranty.

Joe S

Reaction score
I have an 2012 Limited and I personally like the 5.4L with only 84000 miles it has great towing power/torque and runs like a top...with that said, my son in law had the first year Eco boost F150 offered in 2011...he had some problems initially with blowing out sparkplugs but once that was fixed, he ran that F150 for over 270,000 miles as a daily work truck before he decided to sell it and buy a 2017 Expedition... just saying, he had good luck with the Ecoboost.

timo482

Reaction score
what gear ratios are actually in your expeditions .. do you run with the OD light off? it "appears" that the OD light tops the trans out in 4th is that correct? I have a 2008 w 3:31 & HD towing