Best penetrating oil

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Tschroeder250, Aug 2, 2013.

1. botts

botts Active Member

Woah! This can be danger zone! Torque specs are given for dry fasteners, not lubed.

When engineering, a formula is used to convert torque from dry to wet. Most anti-seize brings torque specs at least 20% lower, down to potentially under half of what the dry spec would be.

Torque is used as a proxy for clamping force. Torque is easier to measure than the better proxy (bolt stretch) or best method (directly measuring clamping force).

Some anti-seize brands list what the torque reduction should be. See here: Bostik Brochure. Torque reduction values are listed starting on page 3.

Interestingly Permatex does not recommend reducing torque values for their Anti-Seize PN: 81343.

I use this in gunsmithing all the time. I tend to use aerosol PB Blaster, aerosol Liquid Wrench or whatever I have around for car use though just for ease of application.

2. toadeyes

toadeyes Active Member

This is pretty much old school, but yes it do works great.

3. McGyver

McGyver Member

I am a PB Blaster fan myself, but used to use Liquid Wrench as a kid years ago

4. cvbrewer

cvbrewer Member

There are a couple of penetrating oil experiments on youtube by Project farm. I can't say for sure that they are completely unbiased, but they are interesting to watch. They do test the ATF and Acetone combo.

5. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

We had a thread like this one about 2 months back. If memory serves, liquid wrench was one of the best for the money. It actually fared better than my fav, Kano aero kroil. I think the liquid wrench came in #2 or 3. Don't remember who was #1? I believe the consensus was Liquid wrench and heating the threads. I'd heat first, cool a bit, then spray. Fire hazard other way around.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jeff kushner likes this.
  6. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

I collect & restore vintage bikes and one of our members did a controllable test on all the majors like WD & PB, Kroil etc and found the very best to be a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone:

http://kawatriple.com/TomsTips/penetrating_oil.htm

For most things, I use Kroil.

jeff