Biggest Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DSF1

Reaction score
I think the Hensley or Pro Pride should be mandatory for large trailers. As the saying goes, they are not anti-sway systems, but sway elimination systems. I would never tow again without one. You simply cant believe the difference. The only danger now, is forgetting you have almost 5 tons behind you and accidentally doing 70 down the highway before you remember. Seriously. Our trucks, the Expeditions, are phenomenal tow vehicles, but you cant beat physics - not without the proper hitch, at least!

polidori

Reaction score
We tow a 33’ Winnebago Minnie Plus (7500lbs) and a 21’ Nautique (4600lbs w/trailer) without issue. ‘19 Platinum w/HD tow pkg. We use a weight distributing hitch with the Winnebago. Can’t even feel the boat but you can certainly feel the travel trailer back there.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a 3rd Gen Expedition. The heaviest I’ve towed is my 16ft trailer with the wife’s Buick Encore packed full of her work office equipment, and Christmas gifts.

The truck more than handled the load with the tune, and Full Race Freak-O-Boost setup I installed. However, it did squat a bit in the rear; even with the car centered in a manner to level the trailer axle pivot point. Ended up moving it rearward a bit. It helped.

Noticing some squatting in the vehicles above as well. I’m thinking about airbags for my towing needs. Just thought I’d mention it as an option ’cause that’s some serious weight you guys are moving!!! Stay safe!!!

Oh, and Squark, is your vehicle equipped with an anti-sway setup? If not, I’m sure it would definitely assist in keeping you on the straight and narrow path.
I originally had a Blue Ox SwayPro, but after some research I upgraded to the ProPride. It made a big difference. I have no sway; just get pushed around a bit in certain conditions. I think it's down to the physics of a 7,500lb sail pushing a 6,000lb vehicle. It feels safe and controlled, but requires extra focus on a windy day.

Old Guy

Reaction score
There is a very simple way to verify if the vehicle has a tow package and which package. Bring your VIM number to the nearest Ford parts/service place. They can run the VIN which will generate the "pick list" at the factory. On it is which package and the package numbert. Then, consult the owners manual, which are downloadable if you do noit have one, that gives the tow and hitch weights, with and without an equalizer hitch.
I presently tow with a 2003 Expedition, having the H D factory tow package. 8000/800 and the "book" says 8600 (4X4) with an equalizer; 5000/500 without. By the way, I have been towing boats since 1969 with many different vehicles. I highly recommend an equalizer hitch. The differnce in ride comfort is very apparent. It now has 129K miles on it. The performance and MPG towing is still the same as when I first bought it. I anm about 14K pounds gross weight. On the highway, you can almost forget its back there.
Set it up so you have 5 to 7% on the tongue. Too much weight makes for a bad ride; too little it fishtaols.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our airstream was about 10,000 lbs fully loaded and 34’ long. You can see it in my profile picture.

We’ve sold it now and are looking for something smaller in the sub 30’ category.