bought a 99 5.4 was told needs new motor but doesn't even try to crank over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
12.66 volts dc after being hooked up in car for hours and not falling...infact my fluke crept it up to 12.67 WHILE it was hooked up pos and neg.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
after spending an inordinate amount of my life vacuuming straw and horse hair...pretty sure its horse hair...Ive seen a couple of what looks like water spots on the plastic panel behind the rear body windows(though with how dirty it was could have been "put " there by human interference) and the rear wiper housing hole is ...well it looks like it was already repaired...poorly. so as far as electric issues go :( How much does a shell with a great interior go for now a days? great because I have cleaned it and other than the fact that I wanted to teach the mom who drove this thing around every thing I know about not letting your kids into cars I would later buy, the interior is quite good.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
ok so far I've determined the voltage drops on the negative wire not the positive but after the fusible link there'es a rats nest of electrical tape were the negative wire is taped to both positive cables...lol anyway there'es a passive drop from the negative side of about 9 volts if I put my lead on positive terminal to the rats nest it drops about 11 volts I'm going to take some pictures and post later as well as wait for the weekend when I have more hands and mechanical knowledge around to dive further into this...oh and my charger totally green lit my battery so I know that's not bad.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the readings that high you have either connected wrong or have massive resistance. Post pics of where you are placing the leads.

Don't know where "SOTA" is so can't help you with selling price.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
I will post pictures when I am able to take them and not using both hands to place leads ;)
Maybe you could tell me which leads to correctly place where and I can go double check and let you know.
and where's the best market for these things?

Last edited:

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with the info so far, prob an easy to dump at scrap value, or if inclined, part it out

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
with the info so far, prob an easy to dump at scrap value, or if inclined, part it out
could be said of any car :p
I'm gonna chase down the electrical issue and see where that goes, I wouldn't see why I couldn't see it for 1k as is, the seats alone are worth half of that quick sale.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This may seem a little strange but try to go with it. The meter has two leads, red and black. When checking DC volts the red lead will go on the "more positive" point while the black lead will go on the "more negative" point that is being checked.

Lets say you want to check the connection on a battery terminal. We will use the Positive terminal and clamp for this description. The red lead will be placed on the positive battery post and the black lead will be placed on the positive battery clamp. Any resistance in the connection between post and clamp will force electrons/electricity to pass through the meter and give a reading.

There needs to be a load/resistance on the point being checked. If not you will get the source voltage of the battery.

Most values will be less than 1 volt. If you have anywhere near battery voltage then you probably have the leads connected wrong or a bunch of resistance.

I use CraigsList for my projects.

Last edited: