bought a 99 5.4 was told needs new motor but doesn't even try to crank over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
I'm still trickle charging the battery, check it tomorrow.in the process of cleaning out years of barn.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
There are plenty of "no start" threads on here and how to troubleshoot them. Best is to use the search function and enjoy yourself reading.
I tried a lot of searches so far and haven't come across much of what I don't already know from many years of holding a wrench, and people actively posting makes 200% efficient from 50% effort.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing to do IMO is make sure the engine turns over by hand

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
so besides 1/2 inch drive breakerbar (I assume 1/2) and a little bit of strength from my super human frame...it should turn with everything attached mairight?

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dunno about the 5.4, but some engines are touchy about which direction they are turned by hand

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
bro you have a 5.4 a year older than mine which way did you crank yours by hand?

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The PATS will either cut the fuel supply off or disable the starter system, if i remember correctly. The security light will flash slowly in standby mode and rapidly if the wrong key is used. I don't know if anyway to bypass it without the correct key or a programmer.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
well so far ive determined that my charger thinks the battery is bad but my fluke 115 says it's good so I'm tossing it on another trickle cycle to see if it helps and if not im taking it to walmart pointing to the manu date of 1/17 and demanding another battery. but from what I've seen so far all the dash lights work the tach and speedo bounce, then when i click the key over to ignition only seatbelt and battery light stay on and will do that until key is returned to run position. I would love to do a voltage drop test but my "Grow-A-Friend" kits all used up and my 6 year old is too adhd to trust with a simple task like turning the key for me.

My memoirs will speak softly however in volumes or the character building of making bad purchases involving automobiles.

Honestly though considering I'm not even hearing the starter mmake any attempts I'm going to start testing voltage drop the moment someone I know happen to make the mistake of getting within 20 feet of my property...I hope they aren't wearing clothes they like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65