bubbling paint on liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I have the cracks in the channel.

As for the paint, it may or may not be covered. Probably a question for the dealer. I know there's a rust warranty, but it has to be through the body. That's pretty bad, though.

chaz23451

Reaction score
I have the same cracks in the channels. I have the bubbles on the liftgate. Oxidation is oxidation. Rust is from iron and the white is from alum oxidation. Same end just semantics so not covered. I have just 33000 miles but over 3 years so won't cover. I will never buy again.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no probs here...may depend on the factory location that made them that are having this prob...

kbrehbay

Reaction score
Have the same issues on my 2004 Expedition with 120,000 miles on it. Why is there not a class action suit against Ford on this? There are thousands of these cases out there. Sloppy prep work is Fords problem NOT the vehicle owners problem!

chadecoen

Reaction score
My 2004 also has cracking, crows feet and peeling paint in the rain gutters on the roof and leading top edge of the lift gate. I just figured is is almost 10 years old with almost 100K on the odo. I'm not tall enough to see it anyway so it doesn't bother me. Out of sight, out of mind. But my hood and other edges are in good shape.

Thanks,
Chad

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this online I hope it helps

oops

Last edited:

tommyh

Reaction score
rust and corrossion

We have two 2003 Ford Expeditions and both have corrosion issues. On one of them the roof has actual perforations in the roof. We are meticulous car cleaners, and the rest of the truck looks perfect. The roof issue does not relate to a sunroof problem or any damage. It is simply a poor painting or prepping technique at the factory. The entire roof panel has gone through a process of initially bubbling up, then the paint peels, and then the rust starts and the holes start. Water stagnates in the slots on the roof and gets things started. The second truck has bubbling paint all over the liftgate on the rear of the truck. This is an aluminum corrosion issue, and it is not a perforation problem and of course was not covered by warranty.

In the case of the roof problem, the Ford dealership has gladly offered to replace the roof at my expense to the tune of around $2500. The truck with the aluminum issue will need slightly less work.
I have to believe the foreign cars have problems, but I am not familiar with Toyotas with this same sort of shoddy workmanship.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this same issue with my 2005 XLT but I am just going to save for a real paint job as I want to get rid of my two tone. Hopefully I wont have the same issue after that.