bubbling paint on liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rjwecker

Reaction score
I have a 2011 EL ,was in for service yesterday having driver window motor replaced and maintenance ,it has 27000 mile on it has 36/36bumper to bumper and premium extended I pointed out a small bubble to the service rep and got what I thick was a side step answer,"those can be tricky to fix and cost about a 1000 you be better to put nail polish on it and just live with it" so I got online to see if there was a way to fix it and stumbled across this site seems I am not the only one with bubbles though it doesn't make me feel any better,I did like what I read about it should be covered under the bumper to bumper 36/36 warranty but I would thick the service rep would have known that and made a better recommendation than nail polish any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 04 EB has the same problem on the lift gate. It has an aftermarket warranty from Ford for the next 3 years. It has 70K miles on it. Have not done anything as of yet.

Does anyone think I have any type of chance of going after Ford at this point?

Thanks.

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 EL ,was in for service yesterday having driver window motor replaced and maintenance ,it has 27000 mile on it has 36/36bumper to bumper and premium extended I pointed out a small bubble to the service rep and got what I thick was a side step answer,"those can be tricky to fix and cost about a 1000 you be better to put nail polish on it and just live with it" so I got online to see if there was a way to fix it and stumbled across this site seems I am not the only one with bubbles though it doesn't make me feel any better,I did like what I read about it should be covered under the bumper to bumper 36/36 warranty but I would thick the service rep would have known that and made a better recommendation than nail polish any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Hi Rjwecker,

I reached out to you on another thread as well; send me your details in a PM so I can look into this for you. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

Kotcholie

Reaction score
Rusty lift gates

I have a 2010 Expedition El with the same issue. Bubbles in several places. I expected this to be covered under the corrosion warranty, but as some others mentioned Ford will not cover until the paint breaks thru. I contacted the dealer along with ford customer service and made no progress. What a terrible policy and position for them to take regarding a known problem. This will be my last Ford.

Kotcholie

Reaction score
Interested to hear if anyone has had success in getting Ford to repair the bubbling paint under warranty.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know if it's worth the aggravation for me to bother with Ford.
Sort of like the 3 piece spark plug issue. Real stupid flaws on an otherwise great truck. I've got the bubbling tailgate problem on my '05. In the northeast where I live, I can walk up to 7 out of 10, 2nd gen's and they will have it. The amazing thing is that some bodyshops that I talked to would rather replace the whole tailgate than deal with it. Ouch! What's happening is that the gate is made of aluminum, like the hood. When you have two dissimilar metals in the kind of environment I'm in, and with the poor prep that others have mentioned, you get electrolysis.
When I can, I'll fix it myself so I know it won't happen again. Catalyst primer needs to be used. Where the license plate light brow attaches to the tailgate, fasteners, sealers and paints should be a type used to isolate the steel and aluminum to prevent this from happening again.

vdirico

Reaction score
I also have the lift gate paint issue. I bought the touch-up paint (and clear coat) to touch it up myself. Also having engine issues: check engine light comes on, truck loses all power, ... already stuck by a dealer once for $1300 (replaced a cam sensor). Clearly these folks don't care, so I no longer care and will be buying my first Toyota or Honda. Sad.

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wondering what Ford is planning on doing on the new aluminum bodied F150? There will be a massive amount of people complaining about it, compared to the small number of Expedition owners. They won't be able to just ignore that many owners.