Buying first Expy. What should I look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcsteven

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Looking at buying an Expedition. I'm pretty certain I want a 2nd gen, and would prefer a 2005 or 2006 (can't really afford newer than that. Heck, can't afford any but need something and want to go bigger than my current Explorer). Minimum I want 4x4 and power options, and would prefer the newer 5.4 since it's got 300 horses vs the 4.6 or older 5.4s. I know that 2005 they got rid of the 4.6 (yay!). Other than that, I'm open to cloth or leather, moonroof or not, 3rd seat or not (yup, I know it's std on 2nd gens), up to about 120K miles, most trim levels. Would prefer to have one that is basically stock appearance, and will need trailer package.

So, I know a few things to look for in every vehicle before a purchase, but what are some items I should look for in a later 1st gen or up to a 2006 2nd gen that any of you can think of? Engine issues? Transmission? Transfer case? Electrical? Certain noises? Brake issues? Interior problems? Any thing any of you have seen as issues from wheels to roof racks, front bumper to rear. I want to check it and have it checked thoroughly. I've also seen some that are listed as Police vehicles. I know about all the holes, but is there something that would indicate it otherwise (like the Crown Vic is labeled in the VIN P71).

I bought an Explorer and it was great, but then developed issues that had a read more of the Explorerforum.com, I would have checked for them and possibly avoided buying my current truck. I want it bigger, and like the idea of the V8. I also will be using it to move cross country sometime soon, and while it doesn't have to be 4x4, I'm moving back to New England and would prefer the security of it. But then again, it's more weight and maintenance.

Any info that any of you could direct me to regarding towing, specifically 2wd vs 4wd would be appreciated as well. Gas mileage?

Thanks. While I started this one first, it's my second post. Actually love the customizing aspects and responded to one about replacing the rear rectangular EXPEDITION plaque first.

Thanks all and hope to buy one within the next month.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might might want to consider an 03-04 with the 5.4 You can always do what Tom and a couple others did by adding a lightning blower to get the HP up. It's alot cheaper than an aftermarket setup. Things to look for are the sparkplugs. The 2v engines spit them out. The 3v engines like to not let them go. On 2nd gens, look for bubbling paint on the tailgate(bad prep by ford). It not rust, the gates are aluminum. Also the front windows can go up very slowly(worn regulators). I have an 05 that I bought with 116k and mine has been great. I have put 20k on it since I bought it(1 year) including a round trip vacation to Chicago from Fl and no problems. Get a sunroof if you can. Good luck looking.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mcsteven

Reaction score
Was thinking about a supercharger, but at that point I'm looking at the same price as a newer vehicle. And I'd prefer the newer one for (likely) lower miles, better resale later, and probably a few more things I can't think of right now.

What do you mean the 2 valve spits out the spark plugs vs the 3V? I've got the slow windows on my Explorer, but I don't think it's regulators. When it's warmer or wetter, they work fine, so I believe that some mechanical impediment - suggested to me to grease the rails, etc. So maybe that might be the same issue with some of the Expys?

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to look through the forums and check out the posts that have a ton of replies to see if I can find stuff that might have been common issues to a few people.

Anything or anyone else?

You might might want to consider an 03-04 with the 5.4 You can always do what Tom and a couple others did by adding a lightning blower to get the HP up. It's alot cheaper than an aftermarket setup. Things to look for are the sparkplugs. The 2v engines spit them out. The 3v engines like to not let them go. On 2nd gens, look for bubbling paint on the tailgate(bad prep by ford). It not rust, the gates are aluminum. Also the front windows can go up very slowly(worn regulators). I have an 05 that I bought with 116k and mine has been great. I have put 20k on it since I bought it(1 year) including a round trip vacation to Chicago from Fl and no problems. Get a sunroof if you can. Good luck looking.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
under each gen section read the sticky threads "what to look for before buying" can give you a start