Cam Phaser engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perthaps that may be the case to have them replaced a second time. Ford engineering has designed new phasers for a replacement. Frequent oil changes sre a must. I do every 4k.

pikuptruk

Reaction score
On a Facebook page I follow, there are several people who have replaced them 3 times. Each going out every 20k. So I am hesitant…

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a Facebook page I follow, there are several people who have replaced them 3 times. Each going out every 20k. So I am hesitant…
They may have had them replaced with original type which was a faulty design. The newer design seems to be holding up. I had mine replaced in late 21 and have over 30,000 miles on them now with no issues so far.

pikuptruk

Reaction score
You’re the first person I’ve communicated with that hasn’t had issues after replacing them. So far, everyone I’ve had the chance to talk to about this has had their noise come back after 20k, the latest being in 2021. According to him, the new phasers are the newer design and they are still failing. Hence why ford won’t back it with a solid warranty or anything. They’re not standing behind the new phasers. It’s understood that it’s not a cam phaser design failure as much as it is a, lubrication issue. At 6am when it’s 20 degrees outside, I can alleviate the noise by holding the brake and gas while I start the expy. Let it roll over a couple times before allowing it to start. The noise doesn’t present itself. The understanding is that by doing this, you provide oil to the phasers before they actually spool up to operating speed, thus relieving whatever tension, friction etc that it experiences during normal start up. I hope yours hold up. You’ll be the first person that I’ve talked to that had long term success with it.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re the first person I’ve communicated with that hasn’t had issues after replacing them. So far, everyone I’ve had the chance to talk to about this has had their noise come back after 20k, the latest being in 2021. According to him, the new phasers are the newer design and they are still failing. Hence why ford won’t back it with a solid warranty or anything. They’re not standing behind the new phasers. It’s understood that it’s not a cam phaser design failure as much as it is a, lubrication issue. At 6am when it’s 20 degrees outside, I can alleviate the noise by holding the brake and gas while I start the expy. Let it roll over a couple times before allowing it to start. The noise doesn’t present itself. The understanding is that by doing this, you provide oil to the phasers before they actually spool up to operating speed, thus relieving whatever tension, friction etc that it experiences during normal start up. I hope yours hold up. You’ll be the first person that I’ve talked to that had long term success with it.
The brake and gas routine fills the phasers with oil so that they don’t rattle. However, they are still damaged.

The reason they get damaged is that there is a lubrication issue in the head. Ford modified the heads to correct this problem in 2021. This issue was discussed on the forum with some pictures but I couldn’t find the thread.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the jury is still out on this but check this video. The new phasers really do look to be top notch like what most car companies have been using for many years. Also keep in mind they’ve updated them 3 or more times so a lot of people got the old ones and these only came out around 6 months ago. I’m at 75k and on my 4th set with the newest installed and so far no start up cold noise but now I have a hot start singular tap noise that started at that time I’m still trying to figure out. The 21 and later engines do have a 4 bolt retaining cap at the front of the head which houses the phaser solenoids versus the older cars with a 3 but no one has confirmed the internal oil supply passages are larger, oil pump bigger or anything more. Of course 4 bolts is better and maybe some cars leaked but I don’t think anyone knows much more why that change was made. Looking at the quality of the old phasers that were stamped steel, nothing would last with that type design.

Last edited:

positivemojo

Reaction score
Hello, new to the group here. I was searching online for answers to this specific problem, when I came across this thread. I am curious, has anyone actually lost their liming chain to this issue or experienced worse problems down the road?
It would be difficult for the timing chain to come off the gears but it is possible. I would think the engine noise and performance would be significant prior to that event.

Jon2099

Reaction score
I know Ford's official position is that this doesn't lead to any other issues or lead to other damage to the engine, and I think in the time-frame that Ford's most interested in (how long can we get them to wait while we get parts in and a slot scheduled for them without needing to provide a rental) there won't likely be any damage. I also think it's unlikely to break the timing chain or have it come off. Keep in mind that as long as the tensioners are keeping the correct pressure on the chain then the part making the noise is the center part of the VVT gear. The outside, meaning everything the timing chain touches continues to move as normal, in total sync with the crankshaft. The center part of the VVT gear, though is getting slammed back and forth and your cam shaft is moving with it, meaning the valve timing will be off and will look nothing like what the computer is commanding while the clatter takes place. Eventually some of these engines with bad phasers will develop a warm-idle knock, apparently meaning at low engine speed (low oil pressure) a little bit of uncommanded movement of the VVT system is occurring, which means the computer wants something that the mechanics of the engine can't deliver. At that point you can get codes thrown related to timing. I would think also that if you go a long time that extra movement in the VVT sprocket will cause more wear there and make the components in the VVT sprocket fit more loosely. This will allow more oil to escape the VVT unit and make it harder for the delivered timing to match the commanded timing.
My personal experience, I lived with my phases for probably 3 months after the startup clatter got pretty bad while waiting on parts, and the warm idle knock became more noticeable and I eventually got a check engine light--strange, it said lean bank 2. That's when I fixed the phasers. All sounds including the warm-idle knock went away, and the engine code never came back. Short answer, I think eventually you'll have drivability issues in addition to a noisy engine if you let it go for too long unless you're very lucky. Of course, every failure may be a little different, and while I got a few noisy months someone else might get a noisy year.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may take 10 years but maybe, juts maybe someone in capital hill will see this for what it is and hold Ford accountable for a bad design that has left many without vehicles, with lots of issues, and some with hefty repair bills. I get it, most of us won't even have these in 10 years, but Jeep (and for those of you that don't know, I love my Jeeps) is getting taken to the cleaners over the death wobble stuff. I think that started in 2012. I personally experienced death wobble several times in my lifted '98 JZ. WAS NOT FUN!

I just refer back to the notice sent to everyone too, kind of like hey, as a good will gesture for buying a $60-85K vehicle, we'll repair this known design flaw once for you, then you're kind of hosed.