Cam Phasers or Turbo Wastegate Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1N2W1N

Reaction score
Ok, that’s good news to me then. Yes that happened on my f150. I was just kind of hoping that it was the same problem. I only know of it strictly due to cold starts. I would have never thought that mechanic was doing me a personal favor. Those just happened to be his words of choice when he explained what was changed. He did not mention any other things to be changed with it. Probably because it’s none of my concern what actually had to be done to completely fix the problem. I’m just thankful it’s not on our dime.

S1N2W1N

Reaction score
I also have a 2019 xlt max that recently had the cam phaser work done. There is still an annoying rattle that the Ford techs told my wife and I that was the Wastegate. they can’t fix the Wastegate under warranty unless there is a check engine light / DTC. Is there any Ford techs that can confirm that this is the standard protocol with this issue. At this point we feel like we have gotten ****** on this so called certified pre-owned vehicle. Secondary note: the cam phasers was on the list of the things that were to be fixed. It blows my mind that you literally have to get an engine light for them to actually fix something. But if that’s the case at least I know not to take to my local dealer to try and have them address the issue. We just want the rattles gone like we were promised. We were also told that there are 3.5’s out there that start having these issues before the 1st breakin oil change.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2019 xlt max that recently had the cam phaser work done. There is still an annoying rattle that the Ford techs told my wife and I that was the Wastegate. they can’t fix the Wastegate under warranty unless there is a check engine light / DTC. Is there any Ford techs that can confirm that this is the standard protocol with this issue. At this point we feel like we have gotten ****** on this so called certified pre-owned vehicle. Secondary note: the cam phasers was on the list of the things that were to be fixed. It blows my mind that you literally have to get an engine light for them to actually fix something. But if that’s the case at least I know not to take to my local dealer to try and have them address the issue. We just want the rattles gone like we were promised. We were also told that there are 3.5’s out there that start having these issues before the 1st breakin oil change.
Hey! I am have the Same exact issues as you! 2019 expy Stealth. I have a rattle on cold start that lasts about 3-5 minutes. I know its the driverside turbo wastegate as I can hear the actuator adjusting with the sound and then goes away after that final adjustment and it quiet like magic...I also get a rattle when I blip the throttle on accell and decel. I have an appointment with a ford dealer and hopefully they dont tell me that these are just "noises" and not fix it. Im still under powertrain warranty at 58,600.

That said, I can almost guarantee that if I was not under warranty they would tell me I NEED to replace the turbos,Etc (at my expense lol)

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Hey! I am have the Same exact issues as you! 2019 expy Stealth. I have a rattle on cold start that lasts about 3-5 minutes. I know its the driverside turbo wastegate as I can hear the actuator adjusting with the sound and then goes away after that final adjustment and it quiet like magic...I also get a rattle when I blip the throttle on accell and decel. I have an appointment with a ford dealer and hopefully they dont tell me that these are just "noises" and not fix it. Im still under powertrain warranty at 58,600.

That said, I can almost guarantee that if I was not under warranty they would tell me I NEED to replace the turbos,Etc (at my expense lol)

I’ve learned to just deal with the WASTEGATE rattle. As long as the damn cam phaser rattle doesn’t come back (been about 40k miles since replacement) then I’m happy. I was so embarrassed starting my vehicle early in the morning when I had the issue. It was so loud, lol.

dbozian

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for starting another thread on this topic... Ever since I bought by 2019 Expedition max there has been a rattle from the engine compartment on cold start. I have literally spent hours reading these forum posts and watching YouTube videos. From what I learned, I self-diagnosed it as being wastegate rattle. I'm totally not qualified to diagnose, but there you go.

Anyways, I took the vehicle to my Ford dealership today to have the failed center brake light replaced under warranty, and I mentioned to the guy that there's a rattle in the engine compartment on cold start; if they have it all day and start it after it has cooled down, can they check it out? He said right then it's cam phasers. I asked how they know that the rattle isn't the electronic turbo wastegate, and he said that isn't a possible rattle, but "cam phasers go out on all these vehicles, so I'm sure that's what it is". He then called me an hour later and said the rattle is definitely from cam phasers, and he wants the vehicle for several days to replace them. Odd since the vehicle didn't even have time to cool down enough to replicate.

It's a bummer how experience can vary from one dealership to another; some complain that their dealer refuses to fix the problem, while mine is so anxious to jump on it. I'm thrilled they want to fix my problem, but my question is: HOW DOES ONE DETERMINE WHETHER THE RATTLE IS CAM PHASERS OR THE WASTEGATE? I'd love to feel confident that it has been properly diagnosed rather than diagnosed based on assumption because I really don't want the engine opened up if it's a different issue, and the guy I spoke to did not instill much confidence for me.

I need the vehicle tomorrow so told them not to start the work and will schedule it for after boating season ends when I don't need the vehicle. He told me that's a terrible decision because they could go out any minute and leave me stranded. I thought that was odd as well because from what I've read in other posts, Ford doesn't even think it's a problem that needs fixed.

Anyways, here's a sound clip but not very good... The rattle in this clip sounds so much worse than it actually is. Standing next to the car you only notice it if you're listening, and it just sounds like an exhaust hanger is loose.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10TqS3epotFVIQo_Lv3-puTUzAL5RyKfg/view?usp=sharing
1673222319458.png

Reaction score
I’ve learned to just deal with the WASTEGATE rattle. As long as the damn cam phaser rattle doesn’t come back (been about 40k miles since replacement) then I’m happy. I was so embarrassed starting my vehicle early in the morning when I had the issue. It was so loud, lol.
I am embarrassed by it too... like people are looking at me like I am driving a broken car. Sucks.