Cam phasers preventative maintenance or unnecessary repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colin11b

Reaction score
So I just changed all fluids, plugs, and filters on my newly purchased 2012 with 93k. I just wanted to do as much preventative maintenance as possible. The carfax was very vague about the maintenance history. So after researching other potential issues that are common with the 5.4, im wondering if I should replace the cam phasers and timing chain guide/ tensioners. After reading through various forums and Youtube videos, there seems to be a lot of contradictory info about if and when Ford fixed all of the timing/ phaser issues. Do you guys think replacing them now would be preventative maintenance or would I be fixing something that isnt broken?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
So I just changed all fluids, plugs, and filters on my newly purchased 2012 with 93k. I just wanted to do as much preventative maintenance as possible. The carfax was very vague about the maintenance history. So after researching other potential issues that are common with the 5.4, im wondering if I should replace the cam phasers and timing chain guide/ tensioners. After reading through various forums and Youtube videos, there seems to be a lot of contradictory info about if and when Ford fixed all of the timing/ phaser issues. Do you guys think replacing them now would be preventative maintenance or would I be fixing something that isnt broken?
I personally would change them. I have 140k on my 07 and have already got the parts here for when the warmer weather shows up. They are a common failure on the 3 valves as well as guides, and dampners. Do phasers, a complete timing set and pull the oil pan to collect all the guide pieces that fall in.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 that I bought 6 months ago with more miles. To my knowledge it hasn't been done and I've put about 25k miles on it in those 6 months and it's doing just fine.

I believe the 2012 has revised phasers that supposedly work quite a bit better. I have considered popping the valve covers to take a look and changing the solenoids while I'm in there, just to see if that improves anything. The only complaint I have about mine is gas mileage, and the phaser issue will make that worse, supposedly. I'm only getting about 14mpg on the highway at 75mph, I would expect closer to 16-18, but most of that is probably winter.

I would get a stethoscope and take a good listen on the front cover and see if you hear any ticking/slapping. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
colin11b

colin11b

Reaction score
I tried listening with a stethoscope and I cant really tell what im hearing. A lot of the videos on youtube are pretty loud like a diesel. I do hear some ticking but it may just be regular valvetrain noise. I tried comparing it to my mustang and they sound the same. Im having the oil analyzed by blackstone and I think im going to try to stick a borescope through the oil drain and see if I can get a look at the pickup screen.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern VCT Ford engine are all noisy. I looked at Ecoboosts, Tritons, 6.2L Boss they all tick and are noisy at idle.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. Mine is noisyish, but I used my stethoscope on the injectors, most of the sound is coming from there, so I’m not concerned.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford upgraded the phasers. The new versions shouldn't be an issue. 2005-2008 were the bad years. They also quietly upgraded spark plugs, with longer threads. Always use the Motorcraft. The phasers are covered by the 8yr "emission" warranty.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford upgraded the phasers. The new versions shouldn't be an issue. 2005-2008 were the bad years. They also quietly upgraded spark plugs, with longer threads. Always use the Motorcraft. The phasers are covered by the 8yr "emission" warranty.

2004-2006 were the original phaser design. None are invincible on any modern ford engine if you don’t maintain it and change your oil. Phaser failures are well documented in 5.0 coyote and 3.5 Ecoboost motors as well. Owners of modern engines need to often check to make sure their engine NEVER runs low on oil or Starves and it must be changed often despite what ford tells you. Once sludge and deposits get in your head your looking at a lot of work.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also camphasers failing is a symptom, not the problem. If camphasers fail you have an oil pressure issue upstream. The timing chain guides and tensioners, VCT solonoids cause these. Replace those items with the phasers. Replacing camphasers alone is a waste of time. Most people don’t really understand these engines, if your phasers are not noisy, there is no reason to replace them, because you aren’t having oil flow issues!! If they are, most who have had these engines apart will tell you to do VCT solonoids, Timing Chain, Timing chain tensioners, guides, and phasers. That normally will TRUELY correct the problem. Replacing phasers is like taking cold medicine for the flu. And replacing the camphasers when they aren’t noisy is like taking antibiotics while your not even sick.

The simplest way to put it: if your 5.4 runs good let it be, if it runs badly like it’s a diesel do an entire timing set.

Last edited: