Towing Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to look at this further and I still think the coil springs are different between with and without heavy duty tow package. I searched for two VIN's online. I narrowed my search to 2019 Expedition Max XLT's RWD. I picked one VIN with heavy duty tow package and one without. I then searched for the rear coil spring on parts.ford.com while filtering for the specific VIN. Below are the results. Notice that the description even indicate as such. Note the VIN's are visible in the screenshots. Also note if searching for two different VIN's on parts.ford.com, it is best to close and reopen the browser. It seems to remember the old VIN in the background.

With heavy duty tow
View attachment 35773

Without heavy duty tow
View attachment 35774

I noticed this the other day as well, but the part number is the same for both. I also noticed most the parts for the Expy are back ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, same part number because they are the same springs.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, same part number because they are the same springs.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

It strange, if they are the same then why is one on back order? And why would they take the time to make two separate links. They could have made one that says for all 18+ Expys. And they would show in stock.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would make sense that the HD tow got a heavier rear spring. Who knows with the part numbers matching tho....

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh they may be slightly different who knows. You'd have to check payload on comparable models. Often that short number isn’t exactly the same as the long part number.

Last edited:

wingrider

Reaction score
It strange, if they are the same then why is one on back order?

Due to C-19, probably nobody in the warehouse to pick n ship it, or one warehouse has staff and parts, and one doesn't have staff...

I'm waiting on some stuff I ordered for my Expy via Tasca from the first week of March so who knows when things will start being delivered to warehouses and when stuff will be available is anybody's guess.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed this the other day as well, but the part number is the same for both. I also noticed most the parts for the Expy are back ordered.

Parts.ford.com doesn’t show the full PN. If we go to a different site to look up the parts, we see the full part number is different. They both do share the 5560 portion. 047E3FF1-B9E4-4CF5-8C56-25FBDF45C0AD.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to C-19, probably nobody in the warehouse to pick n ship it, or one warehouse has staff and parts, and one doesn't have staff...

I'm waiting on some stuff I ordered for my Expy via Tasca from the first week of March so who knows when things will start being delivered to warehouses and when stuff will be available is anybody's guess.

I got the FordParts order in for my projects just in time. I put the order in mid March. 3V oil pump, timing chain tensioners, guides and arms, plus did a new oem starter motor and thankfully they all came in fast despite everything shutting down. It worked out perfect because I got the timing job and tons of work on the truck done during this shutdown.

Last edited:

John JJW

Reaction score
I tow a 6500lb trailer, tongue weight 650lbs. Squats 2"'. Tows nice and straight at 65mph no sway. Just installed Sumo Spring spacer, have not towed yet with them. 2019 XLT HD tow, FX4 package. No need for WDH.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 6500lb trailer, tongue weight 650lbs. Squats 2"'. Tows nice and straight at 65mph no sway. Just installed Sumo Spring spacer, have not towed yet with them. 2019 XLT HD tow, FX4 package. No need for WDH.

John...IDK know if that means you're not using a WDH. If not, here are my thoughts...

Four and a half years ago, I upgraded my wife's ride to a 2016 Honda Pilot (AWD). Had the max towing package put on that which netted me 5000# max towing. At the time, our camper was one of the biggest pop-up campers you could get and tipped the scales at about 3500#, loaded-up. (I assume the hitch weight was the fairly typical 10-15% of GVWR.) I towed that TWICE and immediately went out and bought a 3/4-ton diesel. I probably coulda got a $300-$500 WDH and found out I would have been very happy towing with the Pilot.

Well...fast forward 4.5 years. We now have a full-bodied camper that is quite close to your trailer / tongue weight. I made the decision to sell my Duramax after the wife was clearly not in the mood to trade-in her Pilot for an Expedition. But 6 of us in my CCSB Duramax just became way, way too annoying for my temperment. Anyway...I did it, I sold my Duramax and found a holdover 2019 Limited 4WD (with HD trailering package)...and immediately purchased a Husky WDH (that is actually rated for 800-1000# tongue weight...I believe in "going one up" and while that is not highly recommended with WDH's ...I did it anyway and am quite happy.)

So...just ONE camping trip in thus far (have only had the new Expy for 11 days) ...and I might never tow a 5000#+ trailer without a WDH EVER AGAIN (on a rear-mounted receiver). After a lot of research and watching installation videos, I was able to setup my Husky WDH very nicely and I only got 1/2" of squat in the rear and the front stayed exactly the same. Our camping trip this past weekend was a huge success ...towing wise. Here in AZ the temps were ridiculous (at almost any elevation), and the highway winds were brutal. Even though I could certainly feel the weight of our 6200# camper, it towed like a dream with the WDH ...probably better than my 3/4-ton Duramax without the WDH. (I had airbags on the rear axle of my Duramax and that helped, but not as much as I had hoped.)

Anyway...I am a firm believer now (after towing 3000-7000# over the last 35+ years), that a WDH is an absolute necessity when towing ...either over 5000# or when towing anything near 70-90% overall towing capacity).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahurry