CarPlay and iPhone 12 Pro Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I spoke to soon. As soon as I unplug my phone and try and plug it back in CarPlay doesn’t work again.. makes no sense.

I have the same situation intermittently. Carplay is disconnected when I get out of the vehicle and leave the engine running. Most of the time it works very well to reconnect after I get back into the vehicle. But sometimes, like 1 out 5 or may be less, it doesn't. I assume it's a software glitch. I've figured two ways to fix the problem. 1. Restart my iPhone. 2. Restart the Sync 4. Since it always happens when I am driving, I just take the first option, by hard-restarting my iPhone.

Last edited:

bmk1

Reaction score
I have the same situation intermittently. Carplay is disconnected when I get out of the vehicle and leave the engine running. Most of the time it works very well to reconnect after I get back into the vehicle. But sometimes, like 1 out 5 or may be less, it doesn't. I assume it's a software glitch. I've figured two ways to fix the problem. 1. Restart my iPhone. 2. Restart the Sync 4. Since it always happens when I am driving, I just take the first option, by hard-restarting my iPhone.
I’ll try that next time I’m in the wife’s rig. I also noticed while I was listening to a podcast. It was very glitchy. Thought it was maybe my phone but when I switch back to Bluetooth it was seamless. Makes me wonder if I don’t need to replace that Plug-in or if like someone else mentioned the cable behind it is bad because it is obviously not getting a good connection.

homeuser9

Reaction score
My 2022 Limited has been working for 2 years as wireless carplay; about a week ago it stopped and only works using the USB cord now. I've factory reset the Sync 4 thru the menus (pain in arse to have to setup my trailer and other settings again but hey it seemed like a worthy try); I've deleted the phone from the car and the car from the phone (numerous times). Nothing gets it working again wirelessly - it'll connect to the phone sure but just in that bluetooth phone and music mode and not actual carplay. Did you have any luck fixing yours? I'm going to try the hold volume/power and the forward skip button and see what I get...

homeuser9

Reaction score
I just looked in my app to see when my truck got a software update and on May 2nd it did. This roughly corresponds to when I started seeing the issues so I think they pushed an update that's broken wireless CarPlay. I'll submit a complaint and hopefully others are too and they get something patched quickly.

homeuser9

Reaction score
Well I'll be damned. Got it fixed; I connected via USB and went in to CarPlay mode. Then on the steering wheel, hold volume down (left side) and the Next button (right side) for 5-10 seconds and then the screen resets so I released. Then blue ford logo started and during that I held the 2 buttons again for a reset again and then rejoined the phone using wireless CarPlay and its worked since. Probably not necessary to do 2 resets but I got curious with the buttons.

jar0023

Reaction score
2018 FX4. 12pro. 96% of the time wired Apple CarPlay works great. Rest of the time I have to shut the truck all the way down and restart.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 FX4. 12pro. 96% of the time wired Apple CarPlay works great. Rest of the time I have to shut the truck all the way down and restart.

You may try to hard restart your iPhone 12 pro instead. I have the same phone and the method works for my 2024 xlt.