Catch Can!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have said it too many times....a catch can will benefit any engine with a PCV system. Why put crankcase by products back into the intake system? Why dilute the fresh air and fuel charge in the cylinder with crap?

RobK

Reaction score
Right now, I'm filling the 3oz cup on my JLT weekly with the milky mix and some oil. I also smell oil outside and in the cabin. More noticeable after engine has warmed up, shut off, then started up again (like running to the store). I took a look under the hood and didn't see any oil residue around the valve covers. I'm at about 48,000miles in my '17. First vehicle I've had where I get this oil smell. Any advice you guys can give is much appreciated.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right now, I'm filling the 3oz cup on my JLT weekly with the milky mix and some oil. I also smell oil outside and in the cabin. More noticeable after engine has warmed up, shut off, then started up again (like running to the store). I took a look under the hood and didn't see any oil residue around the valve covers. I'm at about 48,000miles in my '17. First vehicle I've had where I get this oil smell. Any advice you guys can give is much appreciated.

Did you have an oil change recently? Perhaps the oil level is too high.

intense98neon

Reaction score
I get the same smell, sort of an oily/gas smell. Usually when I smell it I go check the catch can and it is full. Also weekly or so, depending on driving habits that week. Ours gets idled a lot, and short trips, I'm assuming that is why I have so much in the winter.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get the same smell, sort of an oily/gas smell. Usually when I smell it I go check the catch can and it is full. Also weekly or so, depending on driving habits that week. Ours gets idled a lot, and short trips, I'm assuming that is why I have so much in the winter.

Correct! I have never smelled oil. When you empty it are you wiping down the can and the threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short Winter drives with lots of heat/cool cycles produce a lot of condensation in the oil so you’ll see milky oil caps and if you run a catch can it will fill much faster with milk. Here is a video by FordTechMakuloco that explains this pretty well.

WakeZone

Reaction score
I just installed the JLT kit on my 'new' 50k mile '17 EB; hope it's not too late. With the gen1 - 3.5EB, there is no Ford approved method to clean intake valves. Cleaning these valves can push chunks of carbon and sludge directly into the turbine wheels. Any wheel imbalance created from this nastiness can result in very fast bearing wear and ultimate turbo failure. New Mahle turbos at Rockauto are running about $421 each. Installing 2 of these bad boys is likely twice the part cost or more. A catch can for the DI-ONLY engines is a no-brainer in my book.

I'm expecting to empty the catch can reservoir at 3k miles or so.

If you are emptying the can weekly, I would suspect oil level too high as previously mentioned or PCV valve is sticking open. Pull and clean it in gasoline or solvent, better yet, a new one is about 6 bucks. Good luck!

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just installed the JLT kit on my 'new' 50k mile '17 EB; hope it's not too late. With the gen1 - 3.5EB, there is no Ford approved method to clean intake valves. Cleaning these valves can push chunks of carbon and sludge directly into the turbine wheels. Any wheel imbalance created from this nastiness can result in very fast bearing wear and ultimate turbo failure. New Mahle turbos at Rockauto are running about $421 each. Installing 2 of these bad boys is likely twice the part cost or more. A catch can for the DI-ONLY engines is a no-brainer in my book.

I'm expecting to empty the catch can reservoir at 3k miles or so.

If you are emptying the can weekly, I would suspect oil level too high as previously mentioned or PCV valve is sticking open. Pull and clean it in gasoline or solvent, better yet, a new one is about 6 bucks. Good luck!

In the Cool it is completely normal to have to empty more often, especially if you are idling a lot to warm the Truck up. In Warmer weather it will clean up a bit and decrease in volume. No PCV sticking open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

intense98neon

Reaction score
I've been wiping out the can, inside and out when I empty. When I smell the gas/oil the can is full right up to the top. I don't think anything is wrong with the truck, in the summer I an go for much longer, maybe 5,000 miles before emptying it.