Catch Can!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobK

Reaction score
Did you have an oil change recently? Perhaps the oil level is too high.
Nope, I change my own oil. It seemed high when I checked it before I changed it so I drained from the plug on level ground and measured how much came out. Them added 5 qts of amsoil, then checked next day and added another half qt to bring it right in the middle on the dipstick. I just checked it a week ago and it was still good. after seeing how much crap the can was catching, I was sure it would've dropped. Must not be that much oil and mostly moisture and other shtuff getting caught in the can.

RobK

Reaction score
In the Cool it is completely normal to have to empty more often, especially if you are idling a lot to warm the Truck up. In Warmer weather it will clean up a bit and decrease in volume. No PCV sticking open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I will check the pcv valve. Thank you for the advice.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody know if installing a catch can will void warranty? My '16 has 53k miles and occasional stumble idle, so I'm strongly considering adding a catch can. I have full extended warranty through 100k miles, so I don't want to void or have claim issues in the future.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody know if installing a catch can will void warranty? My '16 has 53k miles and occasional stumble idle, so I'm strongly considering adding a catch can. I have full extended warranty through 100k miles, so I don't want to void or have claim issues in the future.

Mine has been installed since about 20K, and I am at 44K. It has been to the dealer for EVERY oil change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t get this problem in the winter with my Team RXP can because it separates the water from the oil and only catches oil. I’ve been relaying this info to all when trying to decide on which can to install. There is a benefit for the extra $$$.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm neither for or against catch cans, but I'm at 102,000 on my 2016 EB Expy without a catch can and no issues to speak of. The truck runs great. I've change the plugs twice, both times the old plugs were clean. I use full synthetic oil, do changes every 5k miles, and only use "top tier" fuels, none of my trips are short, every time it's driven it is brought up to operating temp, and though most of my driving is sedate, I do run it out to red line in 2nd gear once in a while when getting onto the highway to "blow out the cobwebs".

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm neither for or against catch cans, but I'm at 102,000 on my 2016 EB Expy without a catch can and no issues to speak of. The truck runs great. I've change the plugs twice, both times the old plugs were clean. I use full synthetic oil, do changes every 5k miles, and only use "top tier" fuels, none of my trips are short, every time it's driven it is brought up to operating temp, and though most of my driving is sedate, I do run it out to red line in 2nd gear once in a while when getting onto the highway to "blow out the cobwebs".

Most drivers of these are probably the opposite. Lots of idling, short trips, etc. That is how ours is used.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has been installed since about 20K, and I am at 44K. It has been to the dealer for EVERY oil change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the reply Loki. I bought it used with 34k miles on it and take it to the dealer for all maintenance (got the maintenance package for it). I doubt they'd stop doing maintenance if I install a catch can, but I don't want a warranty hassle if there's an engine failure (water pump, turbo, other).

It's actually at the dealer now getting maintenance and warranty work done. I asked the service manager to see if he can give me an answer on a catch can voiding warranty, and asked him to check with the engine techs to see if they have any experience with them.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t get this problem in the winter with my Team RXP can because it separates the water from the oil and only catches oil. I’ve been relaying this info to all when trying to decide on which can to install. There is a benefit for the extra $$$.

Definitely a better setup. But $450 for all plastic parts. $550 to go to Aluminum, and $150 more if you want the Black Braided hose. You can say they are trying to recoup development cost, but not anymore.

If it was $300, maybe even $350, I probably would have gotten it over the JLT. But at $150, I get a quality made can that I have to empty more often.

Having a hard time getting people to think it is needed. $450 makes it even harder to get buy in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69