Catch Can!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read into the new 7.3L and you will also see it is already outfitted for easy addition of Direct Injection in the coming years. That’s right, the engineers already designed the engine and made placement for its addition. Direct injection will come to this engine in addition to the VCT. It’s not an old 460 whether one likes it or not...

There ya go with more facts...because the best of both worlds is the solution.

Also, I am sure he doesn’t want to hear that they used a lot of the same materials tech developed on the current PS and EB motors to build the 7.3.

It’s intention is to be a work horse for the HD line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J, Please don’t bring facts or logic...that is pointless.

lol I just had to correct that misinformation since I have followed this engine so closely since it’s teething stages.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also want to add this, realize in the case of the EcoBoost direct injection is a safer bet than say just port injection (esp to run on 87). With higher cylinder pressures and more heat direct injection helps to ward off detonation. Detonation makes quick work of melting piston rings. The only other way to ward this off is to retard ignition timing ~ would lose power (NOT wanted when towing). Catch can helps catch what DI can’t wash off. I’ve experienced detonation when I bought my boat. The owner filled it with 87 octane to be nice on day of sale (required 93 octane) that was one not fun and slow boat ride to the marina.

Our engines whether 5.4 Triton or 3.5 EcoBoost have knock sensors and simply will retard ignition timing to stop this unlike old boats lol. I’m a fan of VCT overall, my dad had an ‘08 van with the 5.4 2V, that engine died off in the upper revs. My 5.4 3V pulls nice all the way to redline because the VCT increases the intake valve clearance as you get into the revs. At least it has some power up there, something the van lacked in a sense.

Last edited:

RobK

Reaction score
Is anyone running a meth kit yet. I hear this helps with keeping the valves clean, even without a catch can.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Careful with the application of methane.....while an excellent heat remover, it's only second to nitrous for stripping oil off the cylinder walls.

JE reads a lot.....it's easy to tell....and he has an excellent memory.

Detonation is MUCH than knocking.....here's a set of motorcycle heads that has experienced detonation............

The engine they come from has no valves....that damage was all done by gases....THAT is what detonation does!
Sorry for the bad pic.

jeff

damaged heads.jpg

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is anyone running a meth kit yet. I hear this helps with keeping the valves clean, even without a catch can.

Meth is bad...Sorry. That is the mantra I have always lived by on a street vehicle.

If you want added cooling and more power mix a little E in.

Just install a catch can instead of a complicated second fuel delivery system.

WakeZone

Reaction score
I don't think there is a PCV valve....

This interweb thingy says it is located where the passenger side hose is connected on the lower side. I haven't pulled mine but would think it should seal fairly well with positive pressure on the intake side. Any little bit of crud on the valve seat might allow extra flow that wouldn't normally be there. Not sayin... just sayin.

Needing to empty catch cans more in the winter is interesting. Florida humidity averages about 80%+... Great-Aunt Flo is gonna have to learn to feed herself, I gotta go check my catch can.

Screenshot_20200129-125316_Chrome.jpg

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Needing to empty catch cans more in the winter is interesting. Florida humidity averages about 80%+

More moisture in winter is due to the lower ambient temp. As the engine cools after shutting it off, there are open spaces in the engine that are full of air. When the surfaces inside the engine cool to and below the dew point, the water vapor in the air will condense and eventually find its way as water into the oil sump. The colder the ambient temp, the more water vapor will condense.

The metric to watch on the news is when they talk about the dew point temp. Thats when the water gets added to your engine.