CCD OR NOT????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can the bilsteins be kept at stock height for fronts and rears if I decide to switch to them? The 5100s correct ? Any downside to them?
I kept mine at the stock height, the wife didn't want to go bigger. The bilsteins are more firm than the stock suspension but I personally thought it was a much better ride than the stock xlt shocks which I thought were way too soft. The bilsteins also seemed to control body roll much better and were much more capable of dampening bumps with heavy loads. My current platinum with ccd doesn't drive as nice as the xlt with bilsteins in my opinion. One big example is with my big bike rack on the back full of bikes (7) the back end gets bouncy and the ccd just doesn't do as good of a job controlling it. I still got some bounce with the bilsteins but not as much and it felt more controlled. Even in sport which should make the shocks stiffer it doesn't feel as good as the bilsteins. I am planning to get swaybars but I am not sure how much of the issue that will solve but it should help with the body roll we get in the back mostly. I really do feel like the ride in my xlt was better than the platinum, I would go back if I could.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this thread can drag out forever and the OP may never get an accurate answer.
The bottom line is it boils down to taste. My Expedition has CCD, My Explorer does not.
Example:
I jump in my Expedition and drive and think "wow this is such an incredible ride for such a large vehicle, I wish my Excursion rode like this".
I jump in my wife's Explorer and think "wow this is such a tight sporty, peppy ride for an SUV, I wish my Expedition rode like this."
I love the drive of both vehicles at different times. So, my Conclusion is:
Even though I love the ride of both vehicles I can put my Expedition in Sport mode when I want to feel a tighter sportier, peppier ride. But I am stuck with the Explorer being what it is. I'm glad I purchased a vehicle with CCD, and would choose it again.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wheel size and tire choice are also big factors. With the 22” wheels you want it. OEM stock tires seem to be “meh” at best as well on most setups. Getting the Hankook tires off for BFG AT tires on my 20” wheels made a huge difference for me. Maybe get what is on the lot, but expect to want to swap out tires/wheel size/struts (and/or) in 6 mo to a year? I just remembered chucking the garbage stock tires after 10K miles and even my wife being amazed what a big change it made, and she rarely cares about road handing and road feel.

I had to ditch the Hankooks at 18,000 miles. Wet highway they were the worst tires I’ve had on a vehicle. Even the yr before snow trip I had to use 4x4 in stuff that fwd Mini vans were driving through with Michelin stock tires. I didn’t want full on BFG Ko’s had them on my Landcruiser great tire but terrible for mileage and ride quality.

September 2021 BFG came out with s A/T hybrid tire for the “sporty SUV” / wagons. BFG Trail Terrain OMG!! Totally different vehicle!!! We drove up the street in far worse packed snow in 2whl drive better than we did the yr before in 4x4 with the Hankooks.

Wet performance was basically the same as dry. Mileage hit was maybe .5-.8 ish mpg less. Massive difference!!! Definitely sticking to the BFG Trail Terrain on the 22’s

fordperfaddict

Reaction score
is there a difference between limited stealth suspension and just regular limited suspension? the stealth is pretty stiff in the rear. would like to soften it up a bit. does limited have softer susp then the stealth or are they the same?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is there a difference between limited stealth suspension and just regular limited suspension? the stealth is pretty stiff in the rear. would like to soften it up a bit. does limited have softer susp then the stealth or are they the same?
Depends on whether the Stealth model has the standard Stealth package or the Stealth Performance package.

smstroben

Reaction score
for 2022+ both 303A and 304A have "Sport-Tuned Suspension".
1708015555936.png

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably slightly firmer shock tuning. You mostly feel it in the non ccd trucks from what it seems from buyers on here but everyone with the 22s and no ccd complains about the ride on any road not on the highway.

fordperfaddict

Reaction score
Probably slightly firmer shock tuning. You mostly feel it in the non ccd trucks from what it seems from buyers on here but everyone with the 22s and no ccd complains about the ride on any road not on the highway.
For sure if the shocks on the regular limited are softer I’ll just swap them no problem I’m sure the cost isn’t very high.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65