Certified Used?? Rental/Lease??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a fair number of 2018's listed with Ford dealerships under their "certified vehicle" program. Considering the many new and expensive to repair features in late year vehicles, having some additional warranty coverage seems wise. I'm sure it is baked into the asking price but, depending on how well one can bargain on final price, likely cheaper that having added like coverage after the deal - dunno?

What are your thoughts about Ford's Certified Used program? Articles I've found/read thus far are mixed as to value. A good many used 2018 Expeditions I see for sale are very close to or already past the 36000 mile mark, leaving only the balance of the 5 year/60000 mile powertrain warranty. I'm guessing most would qualify for purchase of an extended warranty either from Ford or aftermarket?

Which brings me to another question - would you consider buying a rental/lease vehicle? I know a few friends whose companies provide them lease cars and they tend to not treat them like their own. I should think those from Avis, National, Budget, etc., might be best to avoid?

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 17 XLT EL 4x4 that was listed as "lease or rental" in the car fax just as the newly designed 18s were hitting the lots. It was about a year old and had 29,000 on it, original MSRP was over $50k and I got it for $34k. A good friend of mine was having 4x4 issues with his 16 F150 Platinum so I researched and found a couple of Ford Dealers that will sell Ford Factory extended warranties online for much less than local dealers will. Being either a lease or rental plus seeing what was going on with his F150, I purchased a 8yr/125,000 mile Ford protect premium plan with a $100 deductible plus rental car included for $2,400. I think there was a year/mileage limitation on buying these plans so check before you purchase.

What I paid plus the Ford protect was much less than equivalent Sequoias I was looking at. So far I've put nearly nearly 30,000 miles on it with towing included and have had no issues with it. Ford has the works service that costs me $46 after taxes at the dealership for an oil (motorcraft semi synthetic) & filter change plus tire rotation. I have been pleased with it and Ford's service thus far.

Here is where I purchased my extended warranty. I did check with my local Ford dealer and the extended warranty shows up in his system.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_7KgrTz4wIVAp6fCh0UoAnBEAAYAiAAEgLz-vD_BwE

His is another dealer
https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/defa...MI3_7KgrTz4wIVAp6fCh0UoAnBEAAYBCAAEgI29fD_BwE

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our last vehicle was a 2014 Explorer that was a fleet return. It was covered under Ford's CPO program. I would not hesitate to buy one with some miles on the odometer if it was a CPO vehicle. You get the depreciation break and a decent warranty.

In addition to the 172-point inspection, every Ford Certified Pre-Owned vehicle comes with a comprehensive limited warranty covering more than 1,000 components for 12 months/12,000 miles. Along with this comprehensive limited warranty, 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty coverage is included with every Ford Certified Pre-owned vehicle.*

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 17 XLT EL 4x4 that was listed as "lease or rental" in the car fax just as the newly designed 18s were hitting the lots. It was about a year old and had 29,000 on it, original MSRP was over $50k and I got it for $34k. A good friend of mine was having 4x4 issues with his 16 F150 Platinum so I researched and found a couple of Ford Dealers that will sell Ford Factory extended warranties online for much less than local dealers will. Being either a lease or rental plus seeing what was going on with his F150, I purchased a 8yr/125,000 mile Ford protect premium plan with a $100 deductible plus rental car included for $2,400. I think there was a year/mileage limitation on buying these plans so check before you purchase.

What I paid plus the Ford protect was much less than equivalent Sequoias I was looking at. So far I've put nearly nearly 30,000 miles on it with towing included and have had no issues with it. Ford has the works service that costs me $46 after taxes at the dealership for an oil (motorcraft semi synthetic) & filter change plus tire rotation. I have been pleased with it and Ford's service thus far.

Here is where I purchased my extended warranty. I did check with my local Ford dealer and the extended warranty shows up in his system.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_7KgrTz4wIVAp6fCh0UoAnBEAAYAiAAEgLz-vD_BwE

His is another dealer
https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/defa...MI3_7KgrTz4wIVAp6fCh0UoAnBEAAYBCAAEgI29fD_BwE

These plans look pretty darn good and reasonably priced - Thanks for sharing!

iamretired

Reaction score
I was able to purchase a Ford Base Care warranty online from Lombard Ford on a 2015, with 83,700 mile Expedition for 3 years, and another 48K mile warranty, $1400. So power train was 1200 but opted to base care for only 200 more. Nothing about certified dealer bought but they do send an inspector to check it.

Tom Tulloch

Reaction score
Last fall I bought a 2017 Limited from Enterprise. $26,000 which I felt was a good price.. It had about 50,000 on it. So far after only 5,000 I've had no problems. I did see the maintenance records from Enterprise and I felt that they did a good job of following the service schedule. Also got the extended warranty directly from Ford. It was fully inspected before the dealer would issue the plan. You can get like 2 years no interest if you choose to make payments on the plan. Keeping my fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As follow up, I can endorse the buying experience from EchoPark Automotive in Thornton, CO. Just picked up my 2018 yesterday and was in/out in 2 hours (cash buy). The no haggle price is, IMO, a much better experience than the traditional baloney at dealerships. They are much like CarMax and several other companies changing the car buying experience.

The only gripe I have is that for out of area customers, they should do a better job highlighting any interior/exterior blems. They do a nice job with their photo set of cars but those do not often show sufficient detail. In my case, I had asked the sales rep I initially contacted to look over the vehicle and send me some additional pics of any significant items. A number of other dealers were happy to do this during my search in the last couple of months. He responded that they only provide the internet photos, but that he didn't see any issues. Upon arriving, I noted that the carpet in the rear stow area had some pretty obvious rub/wear marks from likely a salespersons product cases. Not a deal breaker, but something that they really should provide a customer considering travel to purchase a vehicle. (I noted this in my cars.com review of them).

They have a very large service bay where they perform the "192 Point Inspection". All inventory is 1-4 years of age, less than 50,000 miles, and clean CARFAX. Speaking with the manager while waiting for paperwork, he said the vast majority of vehicles are fleet lease which require all Ford service/maintenance plan items be completed to meet 3/36 warranty.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also a quick follow up on the FloodESP warranty. Very quick and simple on-line system. My approved warranty came back the next day - no inquiries or request to have the vehicle inspected. Perhaps that is because of where I purchased it or CarFax history... dunno? Has anyone else had to have their vehicle inspected for approval?

I had intended to but forgot to opt for the $80 "all exterior and interior lighting" coverage. They allow you up to 60 days after purchase to revise the warranty. From what I'm reading, even the lighting on these trucks can be $$, so I think it's a good option to have covered over the 8 year period - thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01