cheap mod!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rednvegas

Reaction score
Billet look for your Ford Truck/SUV
tools needed
bottle of acetone
Q-Tips
Rag
cpl bottles of beer

Step 1
opening a bottle of beer

Step 2
take the rag and apply acetone

Step 3
rub on Badge till all the black comes off

Step 4
repeat step 2 and 3 till done.

O yes and drink beer!!!
here are a cpl pic of before and after. total time is about 20-30 mins a badge
post-7-64727-x.JPG

Reaction score
That looks good man. I like it. So they must chrome the entire piece then paint certain parts of it huh? Do you think it's gonna take any additional polishing to keep it shiney?

OP
OP
R

rednvegas

Reaction score
90% sure it will stay shiney. I did find out on another baord that the 99 and newer are painted on black and the 98 and older are baked on so it might not work on older expy's. I have a 97 F350 thats next for the mod so i am hoping it works.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i used prestone brake part cleaner and did all of my badges. i did it in october, and i haven't had any problems with them not staying shiney.

i found a thread that shows how to do the oval badges that have the plastic coating on top. the badges i'm talking about are the one's in the front factory grill, and the little on that gets put on the back of the truck. i want to color match mine...my truck is red.

japato

Reaction score
Did you tape the area off just to make sure none of the acetone got on your paint?

What is the tread for chroming the grill badge?

rachase70

Reaction score
I did the rear using brake fluid and the tow hit cover also using acetone. Acetone was so much easier. Where is that thread for the badges?

Thanks
Rick

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry japato...yes, i did just tape off around the badges. actually i used painters tape and plastic garbage bags. i covered my side mirror (so the over spray wouldn't damage the plastic) with plastic, and i taped a plastic garbage bag to the bottom side of the badge. this way most of the spray ran down the bag and not down the side of my truck.

i wasn't convinced when people said that the brake fluid wouldn't ruin the clear coat. i don't know if i went overboard with my tape job and use of plastic garbage bags, but my paint didn't get ruined either. i rinsed it off right after i was done spraying.

there will be some spots that the spray doesn't get as well as others...i just used a q-tip and rubbed the black off.

G

what if i wanna remove those badges...are they just double taped or are they holes behind those badges?

any good tips to get all those nasty little swirls out of your paint job? (BLACK by the way!)