Climate control auto mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I just pulled this from the service manual. hope it helps

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control System
The electronic automatic temperature control (EATC) system operation is determined by the settings on the EATC module. The EATC system automatically maintains a selected temperature for vehicle interior comfort. The EATC system is composed of the EATC module, blower motor speed control, mode door actuator, air inlet door actuator, temperature blend door actuator, in-vehicle temperature sensor and solar radiation sensor to control the various functions.
When the EATC module is set to AUTO:
  • the air distribution direction, blower motor speed and A/C compressor operation are automatically controlled based on the temperature(s) selected.
The EATC module manual override settings:
  • allow the air distribution direction to be manually selected.
  • allow the blower motor speed to be manually selected.
  • allow RECIRCULATION mode to be manually selected in all modes except DEFROST. The A/C request can be cancelled by pressing the A/C request switch, turning the indicator OFF.
  • allow A/C compressor operation to be manually selected except in DEFROST.
The auxiliary climate controls:
  • select the auxiliary blower motor speed.
  • select the auxiliary airflow mode/temperature.
The EATC module also includes:
Auxiliary Climate Control System
An auxiliary climate control system is available as optional equipment. The auxiliary climate control system operation is determined by the settings on the front or rear auxiliary climate control assembly. The auxiliary climate control assemblies include a blower motor switch and temperature control/air distribution mode knob, neither of which can be individually serviced.
Auxiliary blower motor operation is enabled when the EMTC or EATC is in any mode except OFF. The auxiliary system air can be cooled below interior air temperature only when A/C compressor operation has been requested by the settings of the climate control assembly of the base (front) system. The auxiliary system air can be heated at any time.
The front auxiliary climate controls:
  • are built into the dual-zone EMTC or EATC module. The blower motor speed can be set to OFF, LO, MED LO, MED HI or HI by pressing the auxiliary blower FAN button either right (higher) or left (lower). The temperature/airflow mode can be adjusted by pressing the rear button either right (warm/floor) or left (cool/panel). If the front (main) driver side temperature is set to full COOL or full HEAT, the auxiliary temperature will be set to the same as the driver and cannot be changed. When the front auxiliary REAR button is depressed, all control of the auxiliary climate control system functions are then transferred to the rear auxiliary climate control assembly and the auxiliary temperature can be fully independently controlled.
The rear auxiliary climate control assembly:
  • blower motor switch controls the auxiliary blower motor speed only when the front auxiliary climate control assembly blower motor switch is set to REAR. The blower motor speed can be set to OFF, LO, MED LO, MED HI or HI.
  • temperature/airflow mode control switch is a potentiometer that outputs a variable voltage to the auxiliary temperature blend door actuator and auxiliary mode door actuator to set the position of the auxiliary temperature blend and mode doors only when the front auxiliary climate control assembly blower motor switch is set to REAR. When A/C compressor operation has not been initiated (A/C compressor commanded on) by the EMTC or EATC module (as equipped), the auxiliary climate control system cannot cool the air below that of the interior air temperature.

Drmayer88

Reaction score
I sometimes think I’m the only person that uses auto mode religiously. I rarely find myself overriding it to be comfortable.

Every other persons car I get into that has an auto mode doesn’t use it. It’s always way too hot/cold and they are always messing with or.

Just an observation I thought I’d share [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I sometimes think I’m the only person that uses auto mode religiously. I rarely find myself overriding it to be comfortable.

Every other persons car I get into that has an auto mode doesn’t use it. It’s always way too hot/cold and they are always messing with or.

Just an observation I thought I’d share [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love auto mode but every time my wife drives the car i get in to the fan be cranked up on high. Really grinds my gears considering auto works so well

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Set the desired temp then hit auto button on dash or on sync screen. This is supposed to start auto mode, however, on my Silverado in auto mode the a/c light on the a/c button comes on to show the a/c is on. In the Expy when you hit the auto button the light on the a/c button does not come on......so I hit the a/c button to ensure it’s on?? Or, is it on when I hit the auto button or am I missing something?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Set the desired temp then hit auto button on dash or on sync screen. This is supposed to start auto mode, however, on my Silverado in auto mode the a/c light on the a/c button comes on to show the a/c is on. In the Expy when you hit the auto button the light on the a/c button does not come on......so I hit the a/c button to ensure it’s on?? Or, is it on when I hit the auto button or am I missing something?
In auto if the cabin temp is warmer then setpoint it should start the AC. It may take a minute and needs to be above 43°. Below 43° the AC light won't come on but will allow in outside air to cool the cabin.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual should say " In auto mode position the system does all kinds of crazy things, changes fan speed and directs air places you don't t want it to go and runs the compressor almost continuously.
I don't think I've ever seen an auto one that ever turned comp off.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In auto if the cabin temp is warmer then setpoint it should start the AC. It may take a minute and needs to be above 43°. Below 43° the AC light won't come on but will allow in outside air to cool the cabin.

Thanks for explaining that to me. I try to run the a/c in Winter on occasion to keep the oil in the Freon circulating so it will lube the o-rings.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining that to me. I try to run the a/c in Winter on occasion to keep the oil in the Freon circulating so it will lube the o-rings.

Always a good idea but I have to use defrost so often that that takes car of it.
I can't stand driving around in auto with ac running wasting fuel and life of compressor and clutch.

Plati

Reaction score
I always use AUTO mode. Only "complaint" I have is … when sun comes out and it warms up - vehicle will heat up and I have to turn temp down. Or when sun goes down (or under clouds) vehicle cools inside and I have to turn heat up. Seems like it ought to adjust for that? I often run the REAR a little hotter or cooler depending on conditions. Cant really splain why. In extreme weather I have to have rear adjusted for temp or it overpowers front.