Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, 7 months and 10,000 miles later the cam phasers are still smooth and silent.
I guess I got the upgrade parts?

Dirk McGirt06

Reaction score
Dropped my Expy off at the dealership yesterday and provided a video of the issue to the service advisor. Talked to them today and they look to have identified the issue as a cam phaser problem with a long list of parts. They have all the parts except for a bolt. They want to see if they can reuse the existing one. I'm patient, no rush to get it. Want it done right Just wonder how long I will be without it. They are also taking care of the side mirrors continuously moving

Last edited:

Letzleta

Reaction score
Does anyone have this on a 2020? I have been unable to locate any documentation saying 2020's are included, but I believe mine might have the issue. It has done it since day 1, still less than 1000 miles on it.

I should note the sound from mine is more intermittent than the loud consistent rattle in the video on post 1, but it goes away after warmup.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends, if its the turbo/wastegate rattle not sure. the 2020 loaner I have right now definitely doesn't have the sound. I've listened to it twice now at cold startup and I don't hear it. But my 2019 has had it for at least 9 months and is in the shop for the 5th time. The last repair they tried to replace both wastegate actuators but that didn't help. With the wastegate rattle I have, I can get it to rattle pretty much all the time if I run the engine at around 1500-2000 rpms, cold or hot. Got it to happen about 20-25 times in front of the tech this morning.