Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to check the crankshaft sprocket you used. But most likely you need the updated stamped steel reluctor wheel.
The part number for the timing cover should be in the upper right corner of the cover.

These two go together ...
View attachment 70306

5.4 Stamped Steel Reluctor Wheel
I did see a number on my timing cover.
The link you posted for the wheel states it is for a 05-13 navigator. Mine is an 01. I’m trying to find a part number for mine, but this wheel seems to be difficult to search for since it’s called so many different names!
There is one on rock auto that is listed under my make, year and model. It lists 4 alternate part numbers but none of those numbers match up to the one in your link. I will search with those part numbers and see what I can find.
I assume if it states it is stamped steel, that is what I need?
Thanks again guys!

Brons2

Reaction score
subscribed!

sorry, don't know anything about your reluctor wheel, I have a 3V Navi.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ulver she has a 4V motor in her Navigator. So a 2V or 3V timing cover will not work.
The numbers on my cover are: XLIE-6C086-AB. When I Google it, this turns up: F75Z-6019-BA. this cover appears to fit an assortment of vehicles according to this site….
Does that seem right?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The numbers on my cover are: XLIE-6C086-AB. When I Google it, this turns up: F75Z-6019-BA. this cover appears to fit an assortment of vehicles according to this site….
Does that seem right?

No . You will have better luck just cleaning yours up and filling in the crack with JB Weld. If you want to replace your cover you're going to have to search for a DOHC 4V cover, and they are much harder to find $$$ . If the crank sprocket you used in the new timing kit looks like the crank sprocket in the picture I posted above, you need the stamped steel reluctor wheel, not your original cast reluctor wheel. Can you post a pic of the crank sprocket currently on your motor ? If it has a lip sticking out flush with the timing chain it is the new style and you need the stamped wheel.

420022_-jpg.70306

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think i understand what you mean now describing the new sprocket. I will look closer tomorrow after work and get a pic of it. I think you are telling me with the original sprocket, the edge of the chain stuck out a bit further than the sprocket. On the new one with the lip, the sprocket sticks out further than the chain.
Thank you for your patience while I process and finally figure out what you are trying to tell me!!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So now that the lightbulb finally came on….I looked at my sprockets again. I can clearly see what you mean now. The old sprocket (ignore the screws-the old timing components are on my wall now like a trophy) has no lip on it so the raised ring on the back of the original reluctor wheel must have nicely nestled right in there.
The new sprocket with its troublesome protruding lip did not let the wheel nestle and defiantly shoved it right through my apparently somewhat rare timing cover.
So the Amazon link (for the reluctor wheel) you sent me that claimed it would not fit my 01 is the one I need-correct? Amazon just thinks it won’t fit because it’s made for the newer timing components (which my 01 now has) I assume?
I plan to attempt to fix the cover since it’s looking like I won’t even be able to find a new one even if I wanted (used ones seem pretty hard to find as well). I will prep it properly-I assume I should “V” out the crack a bit so the epoxy has a place to go? I looked at a bunch of epoxy and the JB Weld pro (with the steel reinforcement) looks to have the highest strength. Is this a good choice? 34BF808C-5E63-46A3-8655-53D675C94839.jpeg019DDA68-17C1-430A-8EBC-9F55741FBCE8.jpeg9F866FFD-627F-47A9-8ECC-93C21C92A2EE.jpeg90E8A601-877C-40B7-A203-88F41F0615EB.jpeg