Consumer reports Expedition is trash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow thats a dumb question? The g class is faster, but the navigator is smoother, quieter, handles better, way more comfy, has three row of seats, safer, more economical and arguably looks better.

Tmg115

Reaction score
Have you guys looked through Moto dog bisect? Pretty dumb articles and a lot of pigging backing of other peoples work. They had an article “why would anybody buy a Lincoln black label when they could have a G-Wagon”? Yes it’s $30K more for the G Wagon, but if you’re already spending a $100K why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would ask the question why would anyone get a g wagon.....

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you guys looked through Moto dog bisect? Pretty dumb articles and a lot of pigging backing of other peoples work. They had an article “why would anybody buy a Lincoln black label when they could have a G-Wagon”? Yes it’s $30K more for the G Wagon, but if you’re already spending a $100K why not?

I’d love to see that article lol

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
My 1996 honda accord had no oil leaks at 150k plus miles and no major repairs. My 2003 expedition needed a new transmission at about 86k miles. Rear end has been making noise since buying it used in 2007. Windshield leaked and caused all kinds of problems. Heated and cooled seats won't work unless I pay the dealer $400 to reprogram them. And it has leaked oil for the past 10 years. Ford durability blows

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
Have had only a few issues w my 2016 XLT, rear AC feed line cracked and had to be replaced at 50,000 miles and drivers seat side cover has had to be replaced twice when clips holding it snapped off. New one has been fine for over a year now. Bottom of rear hatch door showing some corrosion bubbles, Tires and brakes at 55,000, nothing else. Love my truck.

C

Chance A Tucker

Didn't read the whole 5 pages...I won't buy another Ford until all the reviews are glowing. We have a '16 XLT we bought new. Within 10k miles it developed a rattle under the dash in the front passenger area that comes and goes. By 30k there was/is a rear shock that is either blown (never saw oil out of it), damaged, or by design lets the rear pogo over parking lot speed bumps. By 50k I had to replace a blend door actuator in the rear AC unit...the main gear in it being some type of plastic that grinds down instead of metal. At around 60k it developed the ominous turbo coolant leak that comes and goes. The stealership says Ford reduced the interval on changing the spark plugs from the original 100k down to 75k. The rear park camera intermittently will be scrambled and can't be fixed without turning the whole vehicle off.

This isn't a machine that is built to last..but I'm betting Ford execs still rake in the compensation.

positivemojo

Reaction score
It's the old timing chain issue which has plagued Ford for well over a decade. I just had it happen on my Expedition and had to replace my entire timing system. Huge job and huge cost. The components I bought have been re-engineered to solve the problem and my Expedition now has incredible power and performance - but why can't Ford solve this stupid problem??

Just look at the number of videos and articles on the issue. I bought new parts from my Ford dealer and asked how many they had in stock and it was unbelievable how many they had on the shelf. Why? Because the failure happens A LOT. And I think it's going to happen even more when they start putting smaller engines in big cars and try offsetting the strain on the engine with turbochargers. Think crankshaft, camshaft, valves, chains, guides, you name it. Quite frankly I think it is going to get worse before it gets better. They are trying to squeeze too many MPG by putting in these small engines and we are going to see a lot of failures way before they hit 100,000 miles.

positivemojo

Reaction score
Didn't read the whole 5 pages...I won't buy another Ford until all the reviews are glowing. We have a '16 XLT we bought new. Within 10k miles it developed a rattle under the dash in the front passenger area that comes and goes. By 30k there was/is a rear shock that is either blown (never saw oil out of it), damaged, or by design lets the rear pogo over parking lot speed bumps. By 50k I had to replace a blend door actuator in the rear AC unit...the main gear in it being some type of plastic that grinds down instead of metal. At around 60k it developed the ominous turbo coolant leak that comes and goes. The stealership says Ford reduced the interval on changing the spark plugs from the original 100k down to 75k. The rear park camera intermittently will be scrambled and can't be fixed without turning the whole vehicle off.

This isn't a machine that is built to last..but I'm betting Ford execs still rake in the compensation.

That rattle is likely the timing chain. If it is, you stand the chance of blowing your engine if it jumps a tooth on your crankshaft gear, which can happen if you have a problem with your tensioning guides. I know because I just had the same problem and fixed it - was shocked at how loose the timing chain had become. It was expensive even though I fixed it myself but my engine now runs better than new. My recommendation is to have someone who has done a timing job check it out and possible save you a couple of grand replacing the engine.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had only a few issues w my 2016 XLT, rear AC feed line cracked and had to be replaced at 50,000 miles and drivers seat side cover has had to be replaced twice when clips holding it snapped off. New one has been fine for over a year now. Bottom of rear hatch door showing some corrosion bubbles, Tires and brakes at 55,000, nothing else. Love my truck.

Is there any corrosion warranty for those bubbles? A four year old car and the paint is bubbling through? Mind you I am in FL but my 19 year old Expy has only a tiny bit of rust, on the drivers door sill around a fastener and under the radiator bracket.