Cost of Ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I looked at my records after posting and it was actually about $2,300, but yes, that includes tires, brakes, etc. I never did the fluids at all (I should have, but I didn't.). In the first 13 years the only repairs outside maintenance that were needed were a radiator hose and a wheel bearing. The last 2 years (not included in that $2,400) I had all sorts of stuff go (radiator, another bearing, alternator, brake caliper, etc.). My '11 Expedition has already cost me a couple thousand plus since 2015.
Well, I dont think you're making anything up thats for sure. There are a lot of moving parts in an analysis like this. YMMV kinda thing.

I spent $2455 just on tires, but I insist on good tires and brakes at all times. Geez I think my E-brake might have cost $2000 but I'm afraid to add that up. A lot of people dont ever even service that, just go without.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I dont think you're making anything up thats for sure. There are a lot of moving parts in an analysis like this. YMMV kinda thing.

I spent $2455 just on tires, but I insist on good tires and brakes at all times. Geez I think my E-brake might have cost $2000 but I'm afraid to add that up. A lot of people dont ever even service that, just go without.

I'm an avid bargain hunter, so I often get crazy deals on things. My last set of tires on the Mountaineer were the Michelin LTX and I paid about $250 installed for all 4 (prorate, rebates, seasonal sale, credit card cashback, etc.). Those tires also get great mileage (though I think their winter performance is only mediocre, so I guess that's the tradeoff). My brakes were just whatever the shop used (basic Bendix or similar. On my Expedition, I have gone for the premium brakes instead as it's a much heavier vehicle and I think better brakes are a must.). I really had almost nothing go wrong on the Mountaineer until those last 2 years and I took a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to everything else, so my maintenance costs were almost nil. I changed the plugs once. I never did any trans/diff fluid or coolant. I changed the drive belt once. I had a single hose go in all those miles, so all other hoses were original. Shocks were original up until the last 2 years (1 finally blew out completely a little over 200K miles). Oil changes, however, were done every 5-6K religiously. I would have kept the truck if the northern winters hadn't rotted out the suspension. I had 2 shops (my 2 regular shops at the time and friends of ours) quote me about $2k to replace it all, so I sold it.

As I said above though, my Expedition has cost me much more in maintenance. I have already spent several thousand. I have extensive records, but I don't usually add it all up until I get near end-of-life and I am considering whether I want another. :p

Old Guy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 XLT 4X4, which I bought used on Super Sunday 2006. My wife wanted a Honda Civic so we found a 2000 one for her. This is what I am comparing mine to. I am not including stuff like batteries, tires, oil changes, etc which are considered normal "wear out" items, and routing maintenance, would be necessary with any car.

The Honda got totaled in 2014 so this is about the time when both vehicles were here.

The honda required both CV joint replacements every 40K miles or so, at a cost of about $800 each time. This includes the subsequent 4 wheel alignment.

At about 80K miles the Honda started leaking oil. This required a partial dis-assembly of the front of the engine, as the seals are simply "O" rings under a keeper plate. They also replaced the water pump, as it was growing near and the timing belt. Cost near a grand

The expy lost it air conditioning compressor at about 80 K miles. With the rear air and all it was $800. In Florida, air is not an option; its a necessity.

Shortly after that, it had the normal Ford Malady of loosing a coil-over-plug coil or 2 or 3. I bought all new NAPA gold coils and my friend (who is 6' 6 so he could reach way back there) changed all the coils and plugs in an hour in my garage.Cost:450 including a steak dinner for him for helping.

So as can be seen, the Expy was cheaper in maintenance than the Civic.

It now has 130K miles on it, tows my 8000# boat, and had been super reliable. Its not for sale

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
There is a saying 'If you have to ask..HOW MUCH?, you can't afford it". You should buy a Prius.

TomB985

Reaction score
There is a saying 'If you have to ask..HOW MUCH?, you can't afford it". You should buy a Prius.
Disagree with that. Yes, I can afford it.

I’ve had a couple of Priuses, they were great cars with about the lowest cost of operation in existence. But they sure won’t tow my boat.

I can afford a lot more than I otherwise would because I think cost of operation matters.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
idk....had mine under 2 years...maaaybe $1200 since. not counting radio and money to move my new tires over from my 1st gen. 03 4.6 102000 miles 2nd owner. paid about 2000 for truck at 83000 miles after selling first gen and transfering tires

larryjb

Reaction score
A 4x4 will naturally have a higher operational cost, especially if you change differential and transfer case fluids. Parts for a Honda Civic are, in general, less expensive. Struts are about half the cost of those required for an Expedition.

So, the fact that your Civic had a higher operational cost than the Expedition is somewhat concerning, considering that many parts on the Honda will actually be less expensive than the Ford.

Jeff G

Reaction score
Some people on this site seem to have had few, if any problems other than maintenance. I have never had a vehicle with as many parts that have failed as my 03 XLT 4X4. If I didn't do the work myself, I would never have kept it. I love the beast, drives great, but the number of parts that have failed is ridicules. Here are just a few: Fuse panel, intake manifold, front blower motor, motor resistor, alternator, rear blend actuator, window regulator, PCM, overhead console, parking aid module, sun roof, oil pan gasket and numerous parts from the junk yard that are obsolete. That being said, the total spend has been less than the tax alone on a new one.

Jeff G

Reaction score
Trainmaster, agreed. Just had a spate of issues this past year that consumed a lot of my time and energy. That being said, a new one on the lot at the local dealer is about $70k plus tax and fees. The cost of ownership for the six years that I have had it seems like a bargain.