Dealer wants to buy my Expedition back from me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an e-mail this morning from Rocky Mount Toyota in NC.

They want to buy my 2014 LE Limited back.

"Will pay above KBB prices."

I did reply and tell them we liked it enough we would just keep it.

In case anyone else close to them has one they'd like to sell/get rid of/trade on a Toyota.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In case you haven't heard, the used car/truck market is extremely hot right now. It's a "sellers" market meaning sellers can get top dollar for their used vehicles. Not surprising dealers would entice current owners to trade their vehicles so they can flip them at better profit than other times. Also, it's a typical marketing ploy to get you into the showroom and maybe get you to make an emotional purchase on their new inventory...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an e-mail this morning from Rocky Mount Toyota in NC.

They want to buy my 2014 LE Limited back.

"Will pay above KBB prices."

I did reply and tell them we liked it enough we would just keep it.

In case anyone else close to them has one they'd like to sell/get rid of/trade on a Toyota.

Very common marketing ploy. Sometimes, the email / text / mailer / phone call from the dealer will state they have someone looking for your type of vehicle.

They will buy your vehicle for above KBB prices - and make up the difference by selling you a new vehicle for more than you should pay for it.

I occasionally get mailers from dealers telling me that they are looking for my type of vehicle - for vehicles that I no longer own.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife keeps getting these dealer offers from Hyundai for her 2007 Santa Fe. She is convinced she needs a new car. The old car has a fine 3.3 L V6, the new ones have a Turbo 2.0 4 cyl that is prone to explode.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our Ford dealer offered me an extra $2000 for our 2011 EL while it was in for a service. Told the rep I appreciated the offer but was not interested unless they were going to swap out all my modifications at no charge on another expedition.

OP
OP
C

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a second e-mail and explained, again, we weren't selling.

Then I got a text yesterday afternoon from someone else at the dealership wanting to know if it was okay to call me. Just didn't reply to it. If two e-mails don't sink in, texting/talking won't either.

If you're wondering why they didn't just call, maybe they did, but I don't answer numbers/names I don't recognize. And then I block that caller/number from ringing on my phone again later.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get 3 or 4 of these postcards in the mail every week. Especially in a crowded market like suburban Chicago. I have 2 dealers of every brand within a 10 minute drive of my house. Oldest trick in the book. If you so much as engage in a conversation with them, they feel the hook is set. I had my Ford dealer run me some numbers on a new Expy last year while in for service. Their "great" trade-in price was $2500 less than Carvana. Which I ran on my cell phone while waiting for their fantastic number. Yeah, right.

donsmrs

Reaction score
Got a second e-mail and explained, again, we weren't selling.

Then I got a text yesterday afternoon from someone else at the dealership wanting to know if it was okay to call me. Just didn't reply to it. If two e-mails don't sink in, texting/talking won't either.

If you're wondering why they didn't just call, maybe they did, but I don't answer numbers/names I don't recognize. And then I block that caller/number from ringing on my phone again later.

donsmrs

Reaction score
Good plan! I quit using our dealer for repairs in the early 2000's when every blessed time we brought in our 2000 Eddie Bauer Exp. for one thing, they broke something else in the process. And that's with the GSM living next door to us! We have used the same outside garage for over 15 years. I have yet to come back for something they just fixed or something new that didn't get reconnected, recapped or switched back on. The GSM asked me one day why I wasn't using their repair dept. for service. I said, "Your guys kept breaking stuff, and I'd had enough." Just bought a 2014 Exp. Limited 2wd from their used car dept because it had one owner, low miles, price was right, and has all the features I liked in my last 2 Expd. Eddie Bauers and none of the new stuff I quickly despised in the Ford rental SUV's when I traveled by air. Plus, my own mechanic gave me a laundry list of what features would cost a lot in repairs, and what to avoid. And, he inspected it before I bought it! What's not to like?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That shit would piss me off. If I say no the first time, that ought to be enough. Car dealers are a damned persistent bunch. It's irritating when they just keep badgering one about something.