Debating trading in or sprucing up my '14 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I was already debating switching to a manual Bronco (if I can ever find one) when my mechanic said I should consider trading in my expy. It's almost at 150k miles and will need some work soon. Nothing too big, with the front differential being the biggest. The question is, do I give the girl a refresh or start looking to trade in? I'm not crazy about my options for a new car. I like the manual broncos, but I don't like the idea of a 4cyl. I was looking at stick jeeps, but they're jeeps...
Or maybe I'll put money into the expy. I already have the 3/2" readylifts, bds uca, 33" Goodyear mud tires and a nice aftermarket radio. It would be a little nicer to have it get off the line quicker, maybe a tuner? New rims? Spacers? I'd love to have the hood and hatch paint fixed. Hell, I'd love to have the whole car painted. Get it detailed. I wouldn't mind a nice pur from a magnaflow or Flowmaster.
Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive all of my vehicles into the ground, so I'm w/ JasonH. Besides, consumer demand for nearly everything is dropping off a cliff and we haven't hit bottom yet, so I would hold off purchasing if possible.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife says I'm getting a slanted view by asking you guys what I should do. I think she's wrong. You guys seem non biased to me.
On another note, my '14 is the last year they put a 5.4l in it. Which means this will probably be the last v8 I'll own. Do I really want to give that up?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife says I'm getting a slanted view by asking you guys what I should do. I think she's wrong. You guys seem non biased to me.
On another note, my '14 is the last year they put a 5.4l in it. Which means this will probably be the last v8 I'll own. Do I really want to give that up?

It's not a great time to buy a vehicle - not as bad as it was 1-2 months ago, but we just entered the downturn so we're not quite in a buyer's market yet. Also, check out the recent news stories on Ford's major quality issues and the very serious issues on the 2018+ Expeditions. I somehow doubt the Broncos are getting superior parts. If you need to buy something now, it is what it is. If you're just filthy rich and you wipe your arse with hundreds, then getting the most bang for your buck really doesn't matter. That aside, I personally think it's better to wait until we stop getting charged up to 25% over sticker for the "privilege" of buying a new car and/or until the dropping consumer demand brings the used market back down to earth (depending on whether you're buying new/used).

Roast4570

Reaction score
As stated above, the money you will invest in a new vehicle at the current ridiculous mark up and economy as a whole is way more than you would invest renovating your vehicle as it is. Liven up the motor, service the transmission, fix the interior. It’s a good ride, barring any frame damage, it’s worth keeping around. I don’t buy vehicles for resell value and I don’t like debt in an economic recession. Make the old girl live again and keep driving her. Just my two cents.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adding my thoughts on this which are the same as all the others. It's a horrible time to make any large purchases, and the 2014 will last a long time if you take care of it. I just put about ~$2000 in parts over the past year for general service and needed maintenance (timing kit, rollers, front end) and it was worth every penny.

Instead of buying a new/replacement vehicle, take that payment amount and invest it while the market's on sale. Your retirement will thank you!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Wow! Seems everyone shares with my way of thinking on this. Of course it depends on your personal finances. If you're an old guy taking the money to the grave with you is different than if you're trying to raise a family.

This is a financial decision. If the 2014 is dependable, stick with it. It's not the time to buy anything you don't have to buy. You may need money for $8/gallon milk and $10/gallon fuel oil.

All my life people laughed at the junk I drove. But I retired before I turned 50 and never worried about money. Worried a lot about spark plugs, brake rotors, slipping trannys and when my parts would get here.

Life's a series of trade-offs. At least wait until you have a buyers' market before you buy, if you must buy.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
From a purely financial perspective, it makes sense to keep the 14. The money you're going to spend on a new(er) truck would go a long way toward upgrades and maintenance. I've actually found used blowers for the 5.4 for a couple grand... If I'd had a 5.4 at the time I would have jumped on them...
I do love my Eco motor, and the fuel mileage is so much better than a V8, but it will likely take tens of thousands of miles to recover the additional cost of getting a new rig.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From a purely financial perspective, it makes sense to keep the 14. The money you're going to spend on a new(er) truck would go a long way toward upgrades and maintenance. I've actually found used blowers for the 5.4 for a couple grand... If I'd had a 5.4 at the time I would have jumped on them...
I do love my Eco motor, and the fuel mileage is so much better than a V8, but it will likely take tens of thousands of miles to recover the additional cost of getting a new rig.

I don't think you would ever get these 2 to equal out. $80k would buy you a half dozen mechanically sound 3rd gens and a 2022 only gets 15% better gas mileage than a 2014. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire