Auto Shut Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Book2

Reaction score
I agree it is a sign of low charge of the battery. You may also have issues in door handles at lower charge, lock / unlock by touch or pull the handle stops working except the driver's door in my car.
FYI, the battery charger I use CTEK MULTI US 7002, also use battery tester TOPDON BT100. Both work good for me. (I first purchased TOPDON AB101 but it showed inconsistent results and returned it to Amazon. Repeat testing 2 or 3 times - good tester gives you consistent results.)

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love reading these forums, the topic of auto start stop is one of the best.
My opinion, if I'm in stop and go traffic or a city, I turn it off. The rest of the time, I don't care enough.

Does auto start stop do anything, yes. there are numerous papers on it, 3-10% fuel economy savings, depending on the size of the engine, for these 3.5 it's closer to 6-8%. Smaller 1.5L engines don't benefit as much.
Who's forcing this? If you want to be technical, manufactures are required to meet EPA regulations/requirements on fuel economy, saving 6-8% per 3.5L engine sold is a big deal for Ford. (Expedition sales are a tiny fraction of the 3.5L engine sales ford makes) Do you care about 6-8%? I have no idea, probably not. If you're driving all highway, your fuel economy will not benefit as greatly.

But this devil technology is so annoying! Yes, it's a real first world problem. Luckily if you have a 2018-2021 you can buy a $99 harness to disable it permanently. Don't want to pay? Ford gave you a button to press when you start the car and it does the same thing. Oh, and if that's too hard, you can just not press the break pedal as hard after you come to a stop.

What about all the engine wear, battery wear, starter wear, oil pressure? This isn't new technology all manufactures have adjusted components to handle the wear caused by auto-start-stop technology.
Examples include:
-Battery monitoring systems that keep track of charging and health including disabling the system if the battery is not charged enough. But doesn't the battery wear out faster? Not really, search the forum, or ask people who do not use auto-start stop and those that do use it how long their batteries last, you'll see it's roughly the same 3 years. Less electronics/modems/gizmos your batteries will last longer.
-Oil filter back flow preventors, revised oil routes, so it doesn't "start dry" (for those with oil pressure gauges you can see it doesn't go do 0 either)
-Heavier duty starters (people on here complain about everything if starters were going bad you'd see it here, and I don't see people complaining about starters)

Am I pushing this "feature", no. I just like reading these forums for some comedy.

GT350driver

Reaction score
Try turning your steering wheel slightly in either direction as you pull up to a stop. You will have to try it a few times to see just how much

GT350driver

Reaction score
My 2020 has a button on the dash that disables this goofy feature. I dont know how much earlier or later year trucks have that option. In lieu of the button, try turning your steering wheel slightly in either direction as you pull up to a stop. You will have to try it a few times to see just how much you need to turn. The engine should stay running. Or.... Buy one of those brake lights that plug into your trailer plugs and fit into a 2" receiver. tie it up under the bumper someplace where it doesn't show if your receiver isn't covered by the snap in cover at the bottom of the bumper. Just like when you plug a trailer in...the engine stays running thinking there is a trailer out back....only downside is you get the trailer menu on the dash disply each Time.

Last edited:

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
-Heavier duty starters (people on here complain about everything if starters were going bad you'd see it here, and I don't see people complaining about starters)
But do you really think they put more money into creating magical super heavy duty starters, OR do you think they just kept using the same ones they’ve always used and they just DON’T CARE that in years to come the starters won’t last as long? From the manufacturer’s perspective, as long as the starter lasts longer than the warranty, they don’t need to upgrade it. And as far as not hearing about starters going bad on the forums, this AS/S technology has only been in the cars for a couple years, and wasn’t mainstream on most models until the last 2 years. That’s too soon to see what the long term effect on the starters will be. We’ll know that 5 years from now.

But what WILL happen, and anyone that owns an older car can relate, is that when cars get older, many of them don’t start instantly in one turn of the engine, like a new car does. My 2008 Maxima, which is in great condition, now takes a couple engine revolutions before it starts vs starting instantly when it was new. I think it will be funny 10 years down the road when tons of cars take a few seconds to start and their owners are pulling their hair out over this AS/S garbage.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
I spoke to the people at www.autostopeliminator.com, apparently the design of the AS/S on the Expy changed from the 2021 to the 2022+ Expy models. They need someone to bring their 22 or 23 Expy to their shop in West Virginia, so they can reverse-engineer the 22+ eliminator model for the newer Expy’s. They offered to pay me a couple hundred dollars and install the eliminator free if I brought my Expy to their shop for one day. Unfortunately, they’re in WV and I’m in south Florida, so it’s too far for me. But once someone does it, we’ll all be able to buy the updated AS/S Eliminator model for our 2022 & 23 Expy’s. Anyone in WV that wants one for free? Email them.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AS/S technology has only been in the cars for a couple years, and wasn’t mainstream on most models until the last 2 years. That’s too soon to see what the long term effect on the starters will be. We’ll know that 5 years from now.
Auto-start/stop was first introduced to the Expedition with the 2018MY, by my math that was 5 years ago.
The 3.5L the expedition uses is a carry-over from the F150, which has had the same auto-start/stop since 2017MY. which were first sold 6 years ago.

I think it will be funny 10 years down the road when tons of cars take a few seconds to start and their owners are pulling their hair out over this AS/S garbage.

I doubt anyone cares in 10 years. The average age of a car is 8 years, so half will not be on the road. For the half that are on the road the owner will get a starter replaced. For those that keep cars more than 10 years, they will hope a starter going bad is their only issue. By ford's record at that time, they would have replaced 8 cam phasers, 1 transmission, 4 batteries, 6 shocks, and maybe 2 differentials. If a starter is all they have to worry about, they are lucky.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Auto-start/stop was first introduced to the Expedition with the 2018MY, by my math that was 5 years ago.
The 3.5L the expedition uses is a carry-over from the F150, which has had the same auto-start/stop since 2017MY. which were first sold 6 years ago.

I doubt anyone cares in 10 years. The average age of a car is 8 years, so half will not be on the road. For the half that are on the road the owner will get a starter replaced. For those that keep cars more than 10 years, they will hope a starter going bad is their only issue. By ford's record at that time, they would have replaced 8 cam phasers, 1 transmission, 4 batteries, 6 shocks, and maybe 2 differentials. If a starter is all they have to worry about, they are lucky.
True. Modern complicated cars have a much shorter lifespan then simple vehicles like Trucks or Vans. I have a 2010 Ford Van with 200K and the only thing I replaced was the transmission after a ton of towing in the AZ heat. One of the best cars I own. Ford makes great cars, its the new tech that weakens the brand. Trying for unrealistic MPG for starters. The Expedition could have a bullet proof V8 and a bullet Proof 4 speed trans and last forever but the eco crap IMO is what is making the cars unreliable.