Distance Indication Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philggg

Reaction score
My pre collision alert went off today. I was driving on a two lane road when the car ahead of me suddenly stopped to turn into a driveway. There is a bright red bar that lights up (like a heads up display) across the windshield in front of you. You can't miss it. I think it is a good feature.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully one of us owners will figure out the distance indicator. I do like the fact that the collision alert is just that, pre collision alert. Some systems are too fwd with it and it becomes worrisome when it goes off on every vehicle in front of you.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
Sorry to rake up an old thread - but did this ever get solved?

I just bought a 2018 Limited Max with 302a. The adaptive cruise works great, and the pre-collision seems to warn me when it would be waaayyy too late to avoid an accident.

I (like others on this thread) seem to be missing the distance warning in my display showing me distances to cars in front and preparing the car for an accident

If all we have is the pre-collision warning that comes on when I am about to hit anything that is just rubbing salt in the wounds - telling me I'm already going to crash is not helpful :) And I've seen it work really well in other vehicles, so wondering if I am missing something here

Thanks

Mark

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the page again, mines does that, just not colored. I use the adaptive so that may be why i dont see the colors, ill try today

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to rake up an old thread - but did this ever get solved?

I just bought a 2018 Limited Max with 302a. The adaptive cruise works great, and the pre-collision seems to warn me when it would be waaayyy too late to avoid an accident.

I (like others on this thread) seem to be missing the distance warning in my display showing me distances to cars in front and preparing the car for an accident

If all we have is the pre-collision warning that comes on when I am about to hit anything that is just rubbing salt in the wounds - telling me I'm already going to crash is not helpful :) And I've seen it work really well in other vehicles, so wondering if I am missing something here

Thanks

Mark
As far as I know, there is nothing that will warn you other than the flashing red light on the dash at the base of the windshield and the alert in the gauge cluster. It certainly seems like it is warning you too late, but I have had mine come on at varying distances depending on my speed, and it absolutely has saved my ass at least once; it slams on all four brakes and stops in an incredibly short amount of time...far shorter than I would think possible.

So I don't think you're missing anything, but don't let the pre- collision warning fool you, I think it knows what it's doing.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
As far as I know, there is nothing that will warn you other than the flashing red light on the dash at the base of the windshield and the alert in the gauge cluster. It certainly seems like it is warning you too late, but I have had mine come on at varying distances depending on my speed, and it absolutely has saved my ass at least once; it slams on all four brakes and stops in an incredibly short amount of time...far shorter than I would think possible.

So I don't think you're missing anything, but don't let the pre- collision warning fool you, I think it knows what it's doing.
Appreciate the feedback. Glad it is probably working OK

The user manual paints a slightly different story suggesting you get a colored image of a car showing the relative distance/risk to the car in front. I get a car image when using adaptive cruise but not when I am not using cruise. The manual suggests I should see something.

Also used to the GM system where a car symbol show between the white line graphic on the display to indicate that the car is actively monitoring the car in front - gives a great visual clue that the system is working and has identified a "target"

Thanks

Mark

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Glad it is probably working OK

The user manual paints a slightly different story suggesting you get a colored image of a car showing the relative distance/risk to the car in front. I get a car image when using adaptive cruise but not when I am not using cruise. The manual suggests I should see something.

Also used to the GM system where a car symbol show between the white line graphic on the display to indicate that the car is actively monitoring the car in front - gives a great visual clue that the system is working and has identified a "target"

Thanks

Mark
The Ford adaptive cruise is similar to the GM in that regard; you will only get that grey/white image of a car when it "sees" a car in front of you...if there is open road in front of you, there will be no car image.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post #10 in this thread gets it right...according to the manual, the "distance alert" feature (the one that supposedly displays the colors) can be turned on and off. I will look for it next time I'm in the vehicle. It also says that particular feature is disabled when adaptive cruise control is activated.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post #10 in this thread gets it right...according to the manual, the "distance alert" feature (the one that supposedly displays the colors) can be turned on and off. I will look for it next time I'm in the vehicle. It also says that particular feature is disabled when adaptive cruise control is activated.

As I suspected, the available menu options don’t reflect what the manual says they should. Unfortunately.

Note: not a dadgum thing about distance indication
cbadf496a3cf250fd60e1eaacf942b91.jpg

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Someone needs to walk me through it, then, because the distance arrows do nothing unless I'm using the ACC. I have still never seen the red/yellow/green distance indicator.

Also, I had my daughter (bless her heart!) walk in front of the truck while I was in drive and behind it while I was in reverse. I got zero warnings; only saw her in the camera.

View attachment 23430
View attachment 23429

It seems to work fine when I'm parking, but darn it, I am more paranoid of hitting a child than a light post.

View attachment 23431

This is a pretty good reas9n to stay aware of your surroundings and NOT the technology. For anyone, not just you.

Tech causes more problems than solutions since people become lazy and rely on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition