Distance Indication Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this feature work on their vehicles (Page 248 of the manual).
It's supposed to work with the ACC sensor while not using Adaptive Curise Control to monitor the following distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you, and display a dash Grey/Yellow/Red indicator regarding the following distance. It is also supposed to use a couple of the red lights in the HUD if you are in the "Red" zone ( < 0.6 seconds).

I've found the feature described online on a couple other forums, and it's in the manual, and all the hardware is there to support it, but I have not been able to find it in my menu system, nor have i ever seen it activate.

I'm very curious if anyone has it functional on their Expeditions.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this feature work on their vehicles (Page 248 of the manual).
It's supposed to work with the ACC sensor while not using Adaptive Curise Control to monitor the following distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you, and display a dash Grey/Yellow/Red indicator regarding the following distance. It is also supposed to use a couple of the red lights in the HUD if you are in the "Red" zone ( < 0.6 seconds).

I've found the feature described online on a couple other forums, and it's in the manual, and all the hardware is there to support it, but I have not been able to find it in my menu system, nor have i ever seen it activate.

I'm very curious if anyone has it functional on their Expeditions.
If it's like the Limited I drove yesterday, it's activated from the steering wheel, Left side, to the right of the Res+/Set- buttons for the cruise control. One increases the distance the other decreases the distance.

IMG_6285.jpg

zarga

Reaction score
I understood that to be part of the Pre-collision system. We have a '17 Honda CR-V and the system can be set to very sensitive. Though I have the sensitivity set high on my Expy, the pre-collision system has only worked once: when the car in front of me was turning right and I didn't lower my speed. I never noticed the Gray/Yellow/Red indicator, only the line of red lights above the dash and a warning beep. I was so surprised by it I hit the brakes, though I was in no danger of hitting the guy. Other times when I would expect it to work, it hasn't (e.g. pedestrian in front of me while I'm in motion, coming up quickly on the car in front of me at a stop, etc.)

Based on the CR-V system, I had high hopes for this one. Though I like to think I'm still in my 20s with a super-speedy brain, reality says I'm not. I really liked the idea of the safety features as a double-check for myself, but I've learned I can't count on these systems in the Expy.

The other part I'm disappointed in is the parking sensors (or whatever they are called on this car). With our Sienna van, the sensors beeped when anything was within range of, say, a foot or so. INCLUDING small children. I have not found this not to be the case with the ford. The front of this truck is so big I can't see directly in front unless I click the camera button. I would really like the sensors to be as sensitive as the 10 year old Sienna. In parking lots and even in my driveway with the neighbor kids running around the extra "eyes" would be nice.

I understand the setting to be in the far right screen menu, under Settings --> Pre-collision --> Pre-collision ON.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking (see comment about my brain, above). If so, please just ignore me. ;-)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood that to be part of the Pre-collision system. We have a '17 Honda CR-V and the system can be set to very sensitive. Though I have the sensitivity set high on my Expy, the pre-collision system has only worked once: when the car in front of me was turning right and I didn't lower my speed. I never noticed the Gray/Yellow/Red indicator, only the line of red lights above the dash and a warning beep. I was so surprised by it I hit the brakes, though I was in no danger of hitting the guy. Other times when I would expect it to work, it hasn't (e.g. pedestrian in front of me while I'm in motion, coming up quickly on the car in front of me at a stop, etc.)

Based on the CR-V system, I had high hopes for this one. Though I like to think I'm still in my 20s with a super-speedy brain, reality says I'm not. I really liked the idea of the safety features as a double-check for myself, but I've learned I can't count on these systems in the Expy.

The other part I'm disappointed in is the parking sensors (or whatever they are called on this car). With our Sienna van, the sensors beeped when anything was within range of, say, a foot or so. INCLUDING small children. I have not found this not to be the case with the ford. The front of this truck is so big I can't see directly in front unless I click the camera button. I would really like the sensors to be as sensitive as the 10 year old Sienna. In parking lots and even in my driveway with the neighbor kids running around the extra "eyes" would be nice.

I understand the setting to be in the far right screen menu, under Settings --> Pre-collision --> Pre-collision ON.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking (see comment about my brain, above). If so, please just ignore me. ;-)
I'm surprised that you don't find the sensors sensitive enough. When I'm parking my 17 and backing up the driveway the vehicle approaching from the side sensors go off if the leaves on the bushes on the side of the driveway are moving in the breeze. The vehicle has to be in drive for the front sensors and reverse for the rear sensors and something has to be within 5' of the sensors to set them off.

As far as the buttons on the wheel on the 18, the salesman said they were used to set following distance and could be used independently of the cruise control.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the actual sensors, they seem pretty sensitive to me. Whenever im parking, anything or anybody will make it beep. I do like that if something sets off the front sensor, the vehicle proximity icon pops up. I do agree the pre collission alert is not sensitive enough. One salesman did say the system is based on your alertness. If it sees you are alert it wont alert. Kind of defeats the purpose of having it, big truck needs to more time to break. I almost rear ended someone n it def did not do anything to brake let alone beep.

AmpForE

Reaction score

Those buttons on the steering wheel definitely set the following distance for the ACC. Turning up or down the sensitivity of the pre collision warning is done in the menus. I typically set mine to max sensitivity and leave it.

I vary the following distance all the time using the buttons all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pre collision came on for me today. A car was turning and the truck mustve caught me looking out the moonroof because it was beepin at me a good 2 car lengths behind the other car.

zarga

Reaction score
I'm surprised that you don't find the sensors sensitive enough. When I'm parking my 17 and backing up the driveway the vehicle approaching from the side sensors go off if the leaves on the bushes on the side of the driveway are moving in the breeze. The vehicle has to be in drive for the front sensors and reverse for the rear sensors and something has to be within 5' of the sensors to set them off.

As far as the buttons on the wheel on the 18, the salesman said they were used to set following distance and could be used independently of the cruise control.

Someone needs to walk me through it, then, because the distance arrows do nothing unless I'm using the ACC. I have still never seen the red/yellow/green distance indicator.

Also, I had my daughter (bless her heart!) walk in front of the truck while I was in drive and behind it while I was in reverse. I got zero warnings; only saw her in the camera.

20180120_171610.jpg
20180120_171704.jpg

It seems to work fine when I'm parking, but darn it, I am more paranoid of hitting a child than a light post.

20180120_172722.jpg

OP
OP
J

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey everyone.. Just so we are all clear, most posts i have made anywhere regarding this feature start getting confused, like this thread.

I've explained what I'm looking for in a couple different posts, but most people seem to be confusing this with the collision avoidance system. So Trying to compile everything I can find around this particular feature, despite the fact it doesn't seem to be enabled on my vehicle currently.

First, the three similar systems are:
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control
  2. Collision avoidance system
  3. Distance Alert System
Adaptive cruise I think everyone is familiar with, so wont go into great detail, expect the fact it uses front radar to sense distance, and display that following distance in the console. Adjustable with the steering wheel button.
ACC.png

Collision avoidance system is what most people above are talking about. This is where the vehicle will basically scream at you that you are about to hit something, flash the HUD red, and big warning in console. Hard to trigger, although the case of someone turning in front of you as you approach their rear end does seem to trigger (at least it did for me). The collision avoidance system also includes the pedestrian detection, and I've never had that successfully trigger.

the Distance Alert system is what i am wondering if anyone has seen working on their vehicles. It is a part of the collision avoidance system. It uses the same part of the console as adaptive cruise, but only works when cruise if OFF (it uses the same radar sensors).
if the following distance gap is 09 -.6 seconds, it displays yellow, and if following distance is < 0.6 seconds, it goes red, and also apparently will flash a few of the red pixels on the HUD (not the entire bar, just like three of em)
2018-01-21_10-21-08.png
The menu option to turn this feature on and off is supposed to be under the Pre-Collision menu, but on my vehicle it isn't there.

I've identified the bit in the IPC module which should enable this menu, and on my vehicle, the bit is turned off, Have tried to change, but unfortunately, the 2018 Exped has a new IPC, and currently it cannot be written to by FORScan

here is a Car thread also talking about the feature (Ford Fusion)
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573&pid=126174#pid126174

and here is the IPC address.
values 8-B have FCW + FDA enabled (Forward Collision Warning, Forward Distance Alert)

2018-01-21_10-28-10.png