Drawer build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building one now. My friend built a steel frame just high enough so I can remove the cover for the jack, etc. I'm making a short bar to lower the spare with a ratchet. The box is finished and now I'm working on the drawers. I need to put four kennels on top and tie them down. I'll send pics as soon as I'm finished.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are blocking access to your fuel shutoff switch behind the door on the left, as well as the return air for your rear A/C on the right. Plus, what would you do if you need to change a flat tire? In order to drop the spare, you need access to the winder that is under your storage drawers. I hope you relocated the jack and lug wrench from the compartment!

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
There is a gap on both sides, and all it takes to move is removing two nuts off the the mounts and it will slide forward to allow access to the compartment below, and the 2017 Expedition does not have a fuel pump shutoff switch in the back, it can be enabled through the ignition being switched on and off a couple of times. And the jack and handle are in the right drawer.

Last edited:

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics. The one is the metal frame to allow access to the jack, etc. The other is the box. The top is on now and I'm working on the drawers. Not sure how to upload pics, but I'm going to try "Upload a File". If this is wrong, someone please let me know how to upload.

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
Looks great ! I’m working on a way to lower and raise the spare tire with a 12 volt electric motor, when it comes together,I’ll post more pics.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a gap on both sides, and all it takes to move is removing two nuts off the the mounts and it will slide forward to allow access to the compartment below, and the 2017 Expedition does not have a fuel pump shutoff switch in the back, it can be enabled through the ignition being switched on and off a couple of times. And the jack and handle are in the right drawer.

Then what's underneath that pop-off panel?

OP
OP
Okgearhead

Okgearhead

Reaction score
The lift motor for the rear hatch is on the left side, the rear a/c is on the right.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finished the box today. Here is a pic and the bar I made to lower the spare. I need to find a way to anchor the whole thing down now. Hopefully I can get the drawers done this week end. I would like the drawers to be a little deeper, but I'm at the limit for the kennels. I had to buy two wire crates to fit in the back. More soon when it's finished

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG