Drywall Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sprman4lissa

Reaction score
I have a 98 Expedition and my rear driver door will not open from inside or out.. It use to open but today my son shoved a drywall screw in the child safety lock do dad and now it won't do nothing and it seems like it's still locked... i have door panel off but still can't get to child safety thingy to try and get screw out.. will taken the outside door handle get to it? Any suggestions would help alot... Thank You

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you see the screw at all? Pen magnet might be able to get it out if it isnt jammed down in there. I am not too familiar with the child safety lock itself but can you see one of the bars that control the handles leading towards that?

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does that plastic surround on the child lock pop out? That might allow you to see in there better...? I think you might be the pioneer for this problem haha.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That reminds me of some of the stuff my son "helped" me with when he was younger....
From the latch assemblies I've seen on the Ford vans, taking the outer handle off will not help at all. Is there a cable going down to the latch or did they use rods?

If they used the cable, I'll take a pic of the latch assy and post it here.

OP
OP
sprman4lissa

sprman4lissa

Reaction score
That reminds me of some of the stuff my son "helped" me with when he was younger....
From the latch assemblies I've seen on the Ford vans, taking the outer handle off will not help at all. Is there a cable going down to the latch or did they use rods?

If they used the cable, I'll take a pic of the latch assy and post it here.
As far as i can tell they are rods... to me the door seems locked and the screw is stuck where it unlocks the door through child safety thingy.. the door lock won't hardy budge either way if that makes sense

mpsjr

Reaction score
You should be able to manually move one of the rods up/down to open the door from inside the truck with the panel off, even if the handles are off. One rod locks/unlocks the door, and the other will open it. You might have to push down on it (or, alternatively, up) pretty hard to get it to open the door, but it should work. Typically, you have to move the rod in a downward direction to open Ford doors. Make sure you're holding pressure against the door so that if you do manage to get it to release, it will open.

OP
OP
sprman4lissa

sprman4lissa

Reaction score
You should be able to manually move one of the rods up/down to open the door from inside the truck with the panel off, even if the handles are off. One rod locks/unlocks the door, and the other will open it. You might have to push down on it (or, alternatively, up) pretty hard to get it to open the door, but it should work. Typically, you have to move the rod in a downward direction to open Ford doors. Make sure you're holding pressure against the door so that if you do manage to get it to release, it will open.
well i tried what you said with the rods but no luck. i think screw is stuck on the door lock part inside. just enough not to let it unlock it... i don't know what else to try.. might see what a body shop could do tomorrow.. i'll keep you all posted

OP
OP
sprman4lissa

sprman4lissa

Reaction score
well i started fresh this morning and my door is fixed.. I had to take outside door handle off on the outside. Bam i seen the light and boy was screw stuck in there but it took awhile but it came out. It was a 3in drywall screw. I fixed the child safety do dad on both sides so the don't lock & made a stainless plate & shot some flush self taping screws and painted it to match my ride. so i will never have to go threw that mess again. Thanks for all the help & info