Duct Tape Under Expedition From Factory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, also my first Ford in 49 years of driving. I have also had numerous problems, but no duct tape......

Perhaps the Ford pre-delivery instructions (PDI) for preparing the new vehicle for delivery to the customer includes instructions to remove various tape under the vehicle - but the service department did not perform the PDI properly? I’m speculating, but I can’t image Ford would build a new vehicle with tape that quickly begins to fall off due to the weather.

I'd bet that is what happened. The dealership missed take ot off.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is to keep the noise from the Muffler Bearing rubbing the He He Pin. Only a Left Handed Monkey wrench should be used for removal.Side effects will be and urge to have a few cold ones!!!!

wingrider

Reaction score
Last week I noticed something hanging down from the middle underside of my 2012. It turns out it's white strapping tape that is some sort of barrier/"gasket" between the bottom of the chassis and the frame. about 10 inches of it has slid out to the front. I'm going to take a couple pics, then get under there with a box cutter and remove the offending piece.

CHRIS JAMES

Reaction score
i had that exact same piece of tape hanging from the same spot of my 2019 limited when i bought it. it's more like thick electrical tape than duct tape. i figure the wheels will fall off soon now that i have removed the tape.

wingrider

Reaction score
On my '99 XLT, I found a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes crammed under the dash above the parking brake lever with a tiny 3 position switch in the end of it. The dealer didn't know what it was/for. and back in the day i couldn't find it in the forums. I thought it was an alarm but never figured out what it was. It had it's own 8 or 10 pin connector into the car. I took it out to see what would happen and nothing ever changed. I still think it was some sort of security device, but fiddling with and driving with the little switch in different positions changed nothing. The car seemed to never miss it after I pulled it.

As a reference, we purchased the XLT brand, brand new. We went to the lot to look for a Windstar and it was sitting in the lot with all the plastics and wax / chalk marks on the glass having just rolled off the truck. We ended up test driving an Eddie Bauer and we bought the XLT. We loved the color and they prepped it while we waited.

The wife got broadsided in it in 2011 and walked away without a scratch. So we now own the 2012.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had that exact same piece of tape hanging from the same spot of my 2019 limited when i bought it. it's more like thick electrical tape than duct tape. i figure the wheels will fall off soon now that i have removed the tape.

Same here, black electrical tape hanging from that area that I pulled off the night I took delivery. I have a picture in my phone somewhere. Will look tonight and try and post it.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just changed the oil on mine and it had some black fabric type tape, not duct tape. Seemed more like a heavier duty masking tape. I guess they just use whatever tape they happen to have on their cart at the time.