Electric running boards won't go all the way up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDelacruz

Reaction score
You guys seem to know what your talking about so I wanted to ask.... I have 15 Expedition limited. My passengerside side view mirror, doesnt power fold anymore. Everything else works, blind spot, heat, etc. Should I look to getting it repaired or just bite the bullet and replace it.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys seem to know what your talking about so I wanted to ask.... I have 15 Expedition limited. My passengerside side view mirror, doesnt power fold anymore. Everything else works, blind spot, heat, etc. Should I look to getting it repaired or just bite the bullet and replace it.
Have you tried just pushing it closed and pulling open a few times to see if it frees anything up? Also will the mirror move with the knob on arm rest?

BDelacruz

Reaction score
I did it a couple of times with no result, Ill keep trying.... yes, everything else is fully opeational. Having only power folding mirror on truck drives my OCD crazy. I also like the option of folding in the mirrors when I park in narrow parking lots and streets. I can fold it manually, but I always forget to unfold it once Im in the truck.

Grover6

Reaction score
There was a post about this that I cant find. Short story, fold the mirror, and you will see a channel at the pivot on the left when you are looking at it. You can actually see some of the wiring on the right side, spray white lithium grease, I use the WD-40 spray version, in there (left) and cycle a few times. Mine worked but were slow and gritty. After a couple of shots of grease they cycle like new.

scotthere

Reaction score
So there is an adjustment? The hinges fold flat so it's not the motors and they are both exactly the same front to back..........very strange and challenging. Again, they work perfectly and come to a hard stop but won't close the gap.
Ok, I'm guessing you bought it used. I'm still guessing, the motor operating mechanism has to have a "limit switch" (LS) to stop the motor when it reaches the end of its travel. There has to be an up and down LS (2). I'm still guessing the switches are inside the drive mechanism and if I was not so lazy and it was mine, I would pull the cover and see if th switches are adjustable. Imagine, I'm correct and the last guy/girl/ short person/old lady/midget had the step height lowered to make it easier to mount the steed. The other possibility somehow it got magically perfectly straight damaged on both sides I asume??? Did not see that asked. If I was a gambler I'd bet $$$$ that is the problem. Measure the step height when deployed, have someone with another 07 compare their height if yours is an inchish lower. Measure from the door sill down to eliminate tire questions. Could see if there is an exploded view in parts online. Even if you don't use dealers you could call them and ask if they could lower the step if they can, you could assume I'm right, work an extra hour or two overtime, get them to fix it in secret and tell every one the solution. You'll be a hero and Rob will stop being so pissy.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I'm guessing you bought it used. I'm still guessing, the motor operating mechanism has to have a "limit switch" (LS) to stop the motor when it reaches the end of its travel. There has to be an up and down LS (2). I'm still guessing the switches are inside the drive mechanism and if I was not so lazy and it was mine, I would pull the cover and see if th switches are adjustable. Imagine, I'm correct and the last guy/girl/ short person/old lady/midget had the step height lowered to make it easier to mount the steed. The other possibility somehow it got magically perfectly straight damaged on both sides I asume??? Did not see that asked. If I was a gambler I'd bet $$$$ that is the problem. Measure the step height when deployed, have someone with another 07 compare their height if yours is an inchish lower. Measure from the door sill down to eliminate tire questions. Could see if there is an exploded view in parts online. Even if you don't use dealers you could call them and ask if they could lower the step if they can, you could assume I'm right, work an extra hour or two overtime, get them to fix it in secret and tell every one the solution. You'll be a hero and Rob will stop being so pissy.
Yes I bought it used about 6 months ago. I don't think the motor stops it's travel because it goes all the way down to perfectly level and the hinges are maxed out plus both sides are exactly the same all the way across. If they were adjusted for height somehow they wouldn't extend to perfectly level and being damaged the same on both sides is highly unlikely. The dealer is out of the question, they will surely say "sure bring it in" and they will say "we didn't come to a conclusion on the nature of the malfunction but we do have an hour invested in it at $200". Also who is Rob? Is he a mod? The FTE forum aggressive mods were in your face daily and I knew their names like they were a relative. This forum is very kicked back..........quite a nice change. I was a mechanic so I should be able to get to the bottom of this when I get time to look deeper into it and I will report my findings. Right now it looks like they just need to be totally moved up a bit somehow since they work perfectly otherwise.

YES THEY ARE VERY CLEAN AND WELL LUBED.

scotthere

Reaction score
. I don't think the motor stops it's travel because it goes all the way down to perfectly level and the hinges are maxed out plus both sides are exactly the same all the way across.

I'm saying that the motor has to know when to stop in both directions otherwise it will overtorque on every stroke and burn out. It could have up and down torque limit stops but limit switches are much cheaper and this is a Ford not a BMW. I looked at an exploded view of the assembly it looks to me that it would be possible to remove the motor assembly move the platform and re-engage the motor gearing a few gears off and that might also explain the issue so maybe remove the motor put the platform all the way up and reinstall the motordrive. Just guessing. I'm a mechanic from way back now controls engineer. Can't be too hard to try.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm saying that the motor has to know when to stop in both directions otherwise it will overtorque on every stroke and burn out. It could have up and down torque limit stops but limit switches are much cheaper and this is a Ford not a BMW. I looked at an exploded view of the assembly it looks to me that it would be possible to remove the motor assembly move the platform and re-engage the motor gearing a few gears off and that might also explain the issue so maybe remove the motor put the platform all the way up and reinstall the motordrive. Just guessing. I'm a mechanic from way back now controls engineer. Can't be too hard to try.
Yea I was thinking the gears might be off a tooth, I will keep this in mind when I look at it closely next week. Also the hinges fold flat when up so that is the end of the swing for them and the boards are perfectly level when down so they appear to be working perfectly other than the entire units are an inch too low on both sides...................Thanks.

Last edited: