End My Oil Crisis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can have an exhaust guy do a back pressure test they usually do it for free

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't use Motorcraft products at all tbh with you, I feel as if their products are of cheap quality. & I use the Purolator boss or Purolator one can't remember which one exactly off hand. But they are rated for 10,000 miles. And even though the max life synthetic blend is rated for 5000 miles I never go over 3,500

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It depends. I purchased a Motorcraft tstat and it was flimsy AF, so I returned it and swapped it for a Stant Superstat. On the other hand, I can't complain too much about their rotors and pads as I have been running the same set since I purchased the vehicle over 60K miles ago and they've still got life left in them. The MC oil filters are pretty decent as well. A few guys over at BITOG have cut them open after 5K and even 10K and the filters still looked good. To top it off, they're less than $4/ea. A lot of the MC stuff is made by other companies anyway (including Purolator, who reportedly makes the MC oil filters).

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard Rotella sometimes works, I guess I would need the high temp for when Vegas hits 120°. And it isn't dripping at least. I wouldnt hear the end of it if the truck started leaking in the driveway. Lol.

Or maybe 15w40 Rotella T6 for an older generation motor...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe don't use Rotella since it is formulated for diesel engines. Find the source of the problem and correct it verses jackleg "fixes".

You may want to perform a leak down test on each cylinder to check the rings.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't use Motorcraft products at all tbh with you, I feel as if their products are of cheap quality. & I use the Purolator boss or Purolator one can't remember which one exactly off hand. But they are rated for 10,000 miles. And even though the max life synthetic blend is rated for 5000 miles I never go over 3,500

Last I heard, the Motorcraft was a made by purolator and a pure one media in a standard white can.
I am not a fan of overpaying for OEM just because it makes many people feel better but you need no better than a Motorcraft filter. They are also super cheap at Walmart.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cats are a good check. If they check clear then maybe ...... you say it's not leaking. Have you parked on fresh cardboard to make sure?
No smoke out tailpipe when starting or taking off after hot idle??

I have seen cars that didn't leak use a qt every 200 miles (saturns mainly) and it was rings. Oil control in saturn case.
They get gummed up in the ring lands and cant press out and wipe the oil away.

The fix is to pour 2-3 oz of seafoam or berrymans B12 into the plug hole with piston about 1/2 way up and let it soak for 2 hours.
Then crank over to blow rest of it out and start tehn change oil with 5w-40 Full syn rotella T6.
mobile 5w-40 and 5w-30 is next but not as good.
I have done many of these saturns and rotell t6 even though it's a diesel spec must have better detergent action.
The consumption gets better quickly and continues to improve with every oil change.
I now have one that went from a qt every 200-250 to 400, then 650, then 1500, then over 2000. I can now go 3500 and only add a qt or qt+ between changes.

I have never heard of a 5.4 doing this though.
The 85 and earlier 4.6s had valve stem seal usage and this doesn't help that.

I would try a qt of MMO to clean things up a bit. Leave in for 1500 miles then change oil and then add another with oil change and in 1500 more see if consumption has changed.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to manager a Valvoline, and I SWEAR by their products. I use nothing but Valvoline Max life synthetic blend high mileage and Purolator oil filters. Needless to say my expys have served me well

Doesn't really make much difference.
another person will swear by quaker state and fram(blasphemy) and still be served the same by vehicles.
More about actually changing the oil and filter at least by 4-5K than (depending syn or dino) than what brands used.

Some people actually do not change filter every oil change and do the every other one.
I think this is nuts considering you can get a fine quality new one for under 4.00.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last I heard, the Motorcraft was a made by purolator and a pure one media in a standard white can.
I am not a fan of overpaying for OEM just because it makes many people feel better but you need no better than a Motorcraft filter. They are also super cheap at Walmart.

Well the ones I use must be some kind of black magic. All my Fords use only OEM parts (the old ones getting harder to find OEM) and filters. Changed the oil & filter every 3K with the proper grade oil for the engine with either Motorcraft Semi or Castrol dino. It came from the factory with Motorcraft filters....Don't be like my brother in law who only buys parts from Napa for his vehicles, I call his Caddies Napalacs they have so many parts from there. LOL

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't make much difference what kind of disposable parts you use ie:brakes, oil filters, oil, transmission fluid, alternators, batteries, fluids etc. What matters is maintenance at proper intervals with properly spec'd parts and fluids. My other Ford truck has 435,000 mi on it and not one Motorcraft part.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk