End My Oil Crisis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John S

Reaction score
Check your oil filter adapter gasket for leaks. I was losing a quart a week. Replaced at 201,000 miles. 2000 5.4L. Fixed my oil issue.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy a new vehicle and only use OEM Parts you're just trying to make the manufacturer rich a second time or at least you continue to line their pockets with money.
Plenty of Parts out there just as good as OEM and some over the years have been a good deal better, but all at a significantly cheaper price than going OEM. Especially when you consider that in years past your only option was to buy from a dealer. At least now there is a little bit of competition online for OEM replacement parts.
If you want to use OEM parts that's of course your option but admit you do it because it makes you feel better. No one has a better vehicle because they put a Motorcraft ball joint or control arm or pads and rotors on their car over other brands available.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you buy a new vehicle and only use OEM Parts you're just trying to make the manufacturer rich a second time or at least you continue to line their pockets with money.
Plenty of Parts out there just as good as OEM and some over the years have been a good deal better, but all at a significantly cheaper price than going OEM. Especially when you consider that in years past your only option was to buy from a dealer. At least now there is a little bit of competition online for OEM replacement parts.
If you want to use OEM parts that's of course your option but admit you do it because it makes you feel better. No one has a better vehicle because they put a Motorcraft ball joint or control arm or pads and rotors on their car over other brands available.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I just drove up and back 1100 mi each way and on first leg driving @ 75mph w jaunts up to 80-85mph I burned 1 full quart.

On return I planned to baby the ole gal but due to lighter traffic and everyone else hauling ass I set cruise control at 80mph w longer intervals at 85 up to 90 on down hill stretches of I24 in Tennessee. Consumed 1 1/2 quarts w hotter weather.

I just changed the oil today. I arrived last night. Drove through 18 hours stopping for gas and coffee.

I use Kendall GT-1 5-30 synthetic w liquid Titanium. Made by ConocoPhillips the same company that makes MC oil for Ford. I use MC oil filters only.

She’s a man baby.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe don't use Rotella since it is formulated for diesel engines. Find the source of the problem and correct it verses jackleg "fixes".

You may want to perform a leak down test on each cylinder to check the rings.

That's regulatory stuff

"Diesel oil" is allowed to have more of the sinfully gooood environmental-unfriendlies or something

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I wish I could find good aftermarket suspension parts that aren't OEM. Used to buy Moog, but they've gone Chinese and the last two parts from them were junk.

Otherwise, the chain parts stores carry Auto-Max, Car-Quest, Driveworks.... all import garbage that will hardly give 10K miles. Or I can go on-line and get Mega-Dragon.

Help!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just drove up and back 1100 mi each way and on first leg driving @ 75mph w jaunts up to 80-85mph I burned 1 full quart.

On return I planned to baby the ole gal but due to lighter traffic and everyone else hauling ass I set cruise control at 80mph w longer intervals at 85 up to 90 on down hill stretches of I24 in Tennessee. Consumed 1 1/2 quarts w hotter weather.

I just changed the oil today. I arrived last night. Drove through 18 hours stopping for gas and coffee.

I use Kendall GT-1 5-30 synthetic w liquid Titanium. Made by ConocoPhillips the same company that makes MC oil for Ford. I use MC oil filters only.

She’s a man baby.

You could also use 10w-30 full syn or a HM full syn and might see lower consumption.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I read Ford engineers, expect an engine to last 300K Miles with scheduled maintenance. You sir, are well beyond that. You can try pulling out the dipstick about an inch. In the late 90's, I had a winter beater, Hyundai Excel. It burned oil like crazy. The valve seals and rings were shot. I was told, as you take your foot off the gas, it creates vacuum. The vacuum would suck oil past the worn engine parts. Pulling the dipstick creates a slight vacuum leak, to prevent this. I tried it and cut oil burning in half. I gave the car away in the spring and the girl blew the engine 600mi later. She never check the oil and threw a rod.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I wish I could find good aftermarket suspension parts that aren't OEM. Used to buy Moog, but they've gone Chinese and the last two parts from them were junk.

Otherwise, the chain parts stores carry Auto-Max, Car-Quest, Driveworks.... all import garbage that will hardly give 10K miles. Or I can go on-line and get Mega-Dragon.

Help!

Search for Spicer products. Made in ‘Merica last time I purchased. Now I use and get good results w MC.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I read Ford engineers, expect an engine to last 300K Miles with scheduled maintenance. You sir, are well beyond that. You can try pulling out the dipstick about an inch. In the late 90's, I had a winter beater, Hyundai Excel. It burned oil like crazy. The valve seals and rings were shot. I was told, as you take your foot off the gas, it creates vacuum. The vacuum would suck oil past the worn engine parts. Pulling the dipstick creates a slight vacuum leak, to prevent this. I tried it and cut oil burning in half. I gave the car away in the spring and the girl blew the engine 600mi later. She never check the oil and threw a rod.

Sounds like my daughter. I checked the oil in her Chevy sunbird. The stick was bone dry! Car ran fine. I added a quart ... 4 times till I got a reading on the stick. Told her only to use synthetic just in case. Sold the car years later. She says the girl that bought it still driving it. Go figure.