Engine Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broennimann

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Ford expedition XLT 5.4 liter. How to remove the top ends of the motor to remove the heads? Looking for step by step guide to get the job done. I've been having a hard time trying to just find step by step on the internet.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Invest $20.00 or so, and buy the Ford Expedition repair CD.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's your end goal? Many would say its easier to just pull engine than to pull heads in chassis.
Just take some good pics and unbolt it all.
Leave throttle body attached the intake manifold an pull together after you remove hoses, sensors, gas pedal and cruise control cables.
You can try to take exhaust manifolds off on heads or leave them on a guess and unhook the two bolts at pipe and pull with heads.
The timing cover and timing chains have to come off so you have to drop ac comp (don't blow charge just unbolt from block and leave it laying on frame. Unbolt power steering pump and leave it there too.
Pull radiator but leave condenser alone. Remove alt before you takeoff intake. Oh, unhook battery first.
I can pull the whole engine a lot faster than I can pull heads and timing cover. Then one as stand it is a lot easier to work on.
Replace all exhaust manifold studs or use new bolts like I did on my V-10 in excursion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze