Engine Knocking/Ticking Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swede252

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...
I do not use 5w 20... I also do use Lucas fuel treatment, Motorcraft filters, and FORD/Motorcraft VVT parts, nothing else EVER.... because they will FAIL. (I found a AC Delco filter on a 5.4 caused VVT noise with Moblie 1 0w 20... not what that chevy dealer should have used)
So 5w30 keeps the vvt system quite and extends its longevity ( my experience and own research ) remember it flows at 5w and protects at 30w, and filter back check valves keep oil up in the motor for the next start. Plus in Pa with the seasonal temperatures I would only use 5w 20 in the dead of winter, if ever.
I don't have the HPFP system, i agree they have to think of how ****** that sounds, it's up to the buyer to TELL them it sounds bad, to fix it... they will find a way or lose customers.
The power comes with a price, and its always noise... but some noises are worse than others...
To me I think of rod knocks, lifter taps, main bearings going... yes I'm older so that is what a BAD engine sounds like to me...
So I will not buy into that technology.
My worst new car experience was a 1998 GMC Silverado 4x4 350ci with NEW BAD LIFTERS... Ill never be a chevy guy I guess... its my money. Lemon law took care of that... I went straight to the Ford dealer with that check...
P.S. that 99 F150 is still looking new, had it till 2 years ago and still on the road with my friends son in S Jersey...
Cheers
IMG_5538(1).jpg

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a very similar noise once with my expedition. Took it back to the garage, turns out they had put the wrong oil filter on during the previous oil change. Which was about 1-2 weeks prior to me returning to the garage.
This sound is not from an oil filter, and ditch that garage if they can’t even get the right filter installed

CatchMe

Reaction score
Update #2. Cam Phasers are on back order "for month...s" With an emphasis on the plural. Left side Turbo replaced, eliminated much of the noise. Right side turbo is being ordered and replaced as well. I will say, my dealer is taking good care of me. Its so hard to get the dealer engaged in these issues but these guys really seem to be trying to help.

sonofagun

Reaction score
[QUOTE="We had the golden age of muscle cars in the 60-70s and thought it was all over with the anemic 80-90s cars."QUOTE]
The golden age was strictly looks and horsepower. Today's vehicles far outpace the "Golden Age" in reliability and longevity in my experience.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="We had the golden age of muscle cars in the 60-70s and thought it was all over with the anemic 80-90s cars."QUOTE]
The golden age was strictly looks and horsepower. Today's vehicles far outpace the "Golden Age" in reliability and longevity in my experience.
I agree mostly with this. My only caveat is that they did the best they could with the technology available in the 60’s-70’s in regards to reliability and longevity. There are still survivor cars from that era that haven’t been restored and run and drive fine.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. You misunderstood what I was saying. I don't mean the Golden Age of the muscle cars. That is its own era and those were great but technology has far surpassed those and they allowed the manufacturer to pull out the stops and put some serious horsepower down. Not saying I still don't prefer some of the old ones but... . when I refer to a golden age I mean starting around 1992 to 1996 and going up until 2008 or 2012. That's the Golden Age. They fixed all the main issues in the engines with better quality gaskets, they fixed the timing chain issues with the plastic coated gears, they went to viton valve stem seals they no longer puffed and smoked when they got high miles on them. No longer engines wore out and ready for the junkyard at a hundred thousand miles. Almost every manufacturer even the cheap Chevys would go a quarter of a million miles and never had the valve covers off the engine. Now that is becoming a thing of the past.

They basically had the engines all figured out and Transmissions improved greatly too and that wasn't something you had to do sometime between 75 and 100000 like in the car is up through the late 70s. Transmissions we're going to hundred fifty thousand plus... now because of government requirements and the push for fuel efficiency, with a 6-speed and 10-speed Transmissions were starting over with high failure rate was just too many electronic components in there too many servos Etc to stay working all the time and the engines with all the variable valve timing crap you have to change and replace at all kinds of issues and problems as early as a hundred and ten thousand a hundred fifty thousand miles. The durability and longevity without major repairs is not getting better. It's getting worse since around 2012.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
We got into he Cam Phasers backorder issue too with our 2018 Expedition. Unfortunately we were 1100 miles from home and pulling our trailer. The dealer gave us a loaner but we had to proceed with our travels. “No, you cannot tow with the loaner and no you cannot leave Iowa with the loaner.” Rental car companies won’t let you tow either. Dewey Ford in Ankeny, Iowa took good care of us by selling us a new 2019 at sticker and giving us a virtual bloodbath on our trade (thanks for nothing guys) and Corporate Ford was worth less than nothing for assistance. Oh well, we were going to have to put on new tires when we got home and the rear wiper was streaking a little so we saved big $$$$ there. They told us the 2019s won’t have the cam phaser issue so we have that to hang our hat on too. Boerne Ford in Boerne, TX set us up nicely by telling us it was OK to drive and take on the trip in spite of the Check Engine light coming on with the code for Retarded Cam Timing Bank 1. A big shout out to that “not so hot” service department too. Their advice was, “reset the light, change your oil (even though it was still at 76%) and have a great time.” Anyway, if you hear a sound that makes you think you might be driving a diesel powered Expedition on startup, you may have a cam phaser problem.

shrpshro

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the Forum. 2018 Expedition XLT.

Noticed a knocking noise 2-3 weeks ago.
Took to dealership was told this is normal for the 3.5L Ecoboost that all of them make a similar noise some are louder then others.

Now this could be normal just never noticed before. Here to confirm.

27000 on the truck. I purchased Certified at 22,000.
Engine at idle, after warmed up. Don't really notice on a cold start.

Here is the link for youtube.

Did you find a solution? Mine is doing the same thing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Smithville936

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited Expedition and at around 40,000 miles mine started sounding like cans clunking when I start it cold and a little louder running. 3rd time to shop for same noise that never stopped and now they tell me today it’s something internal in the engine and it’s safe to drive until they can get all the parts. Apparently there is a delay in receiving parts because of all the Corona shutdowns. I am happy it’s covered but a little nervous the engine is about to be taken apart on a car that cost this much and is still not very old. I see others on this thread not getting answers so I wanted to share. The 2nd time we we took it in they claimed it was because I didn’t have a Ford oil filter when I got oil changed.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited Expedition and at around 40,000 miles mine started sounding like cans clunking when I start it cold and a little louder running. 3rd time to shop for same noise that never stopped and now they tell me today it’s something internal in the engine and it’s safe to drive until they can get all the parts. Apparently there is a delay in receiving parts because of all the Corona shutdowns. I am happy it’s covered but a little nervous the engine is about to be taken apart on a car that cost this much and is still not very old. I see others on this thread not getting answers so I wanted to share. The 2nd time we we took it in they claimed it was because I didn’t have a Ford oil filter when I got oil changed.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/new-expedition-cold-start-sound.43341/

Go through that thread and listen to the posted videos and report back... if any of them sound familiar you either have the cam phaser or waste gate issue.