Engine runs rough when cold. At dealer here is what they found.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Steve Owens

Reaction score
I was there when they ran all the computer test, compression test and oil pressure test, and they decided to remove the rocker cover. Had Broken rocker, damaged the cam, also removed the pan, turns out pieces of the cam tensioner plastic was also in the pan along with lots of metal shavings. So apparently had other things going on.

I always run synthetic oil. Inside the engine looked like new.

As mentioned above.........Forced engine purchases turn out to be blessings in disguise.

No other problems with anything else on the truck. Cheaper to spend $7K than $70K on a new expedition, and I keep my V8 !! It's paid for !! and with a new engine...

Stuff happens, so I move on.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Hamfisted stated it’s a better idea to run a slightly thicker oil in these too, the 5W-30 will feed the cams more oil when there is pressure loss.....for the next engine

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I was there when they ran all the computer test, compression test and oil pressure test, and they decided to remove the rocker cover. Had Broken rocker, damaged the cam, also removed the pan, turns out pieces of the cam tensioner plastic was also in the pan along with lots of metal shavings. So apparently had other things going on.

As mentioned above.........Forced engine purchases turn out to be blessings in disguise.

No other problems with anything else on the truck. Cheaper to spend $7K than $70K on a new expedition, and I keep my V8 !! It's paid for !! and with a new engine...

Good way to look at it.
Price of admission.
Enjoy the show !!!!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a bit disappointed in Ford with the later models having the same failures the 05 trucks had in the day. Ah well.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My next comments about a miss was going to be rocker arms or valve train components but that simply would not be when it's cold only. You would always have a dead cylinder miss when it was running even after it warmed up. It might be less noticeable but in Drive and even under light load you would certainly feel that cylinder missing and should also have a check engine code light pop on because the computer would know that cylinder is missing.

No way will I ever 1000s in a new engine but everyone else's mileage may vary.
Of course I wouldn't be at the dealer paying them they're exceptionally high prices to diagnose either. Once I got to wear the valve train was the problem.
Depending on how badly the cam was messed up I would have just replace the roller rocker or had it replaced or the camshaft and the roller rocker. Tons of these engines have bits of plastic from the tensioners and guys wearing in the oil pan. It's par for the course. Then I would have sold the vehicle and put the money into it to buy something new and had a lot less than 7000 in the upgrade.
But I don't believe in going to massive endeavors to keep vehicles.
Most people do.
I will call it quits on one and get rid of it and replace it with another at a far lower price threshold than most people. In the end I always come out having spent less money than it would cost to fix.
It is however, more aggravating, more time-consuming, and has at least a degree of increased risk. This is why most people don't go this way. It has worked well for me though.
At least with a new engine you have some peace of mind and probably won't have any issues for a good number of years.
I'm just not willing to pay for that piece of mind.

Chris C

Reaction score
Dealer found the problem. Looks like I waited too long to address the engine miss and the ticking on start up. Apparently there was a TSB several years ago on this issue. Number 8 rocker broke damaged the cam, small metal parts all throughout the engine, pan had lots of metal. Apparently a piece the plastic cam timing slack adjuster broke off and plugged a couple of oil passages.................need I say more. New re-manufacturered Ford engine ordered. Supposed to have several of the problem issues resolved on the new engine. Wont be trading for awhile.

Thanks for everyone's time and suggestions !!

Steve

I had this exact same thing happen to my 11 last summer. Spent about 6k installed on the "new" re-man with an upgraded oil pump and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. It hurt the wallet but way cheaper than a new rig and I see a noticeable increase in performance. Also, spent another 1K on a few minor upgrades and replacements while they had the front end opened up such as the water pump/belt/hoses. It's basically all new in there.

Williamb97

Reaction score
I don’t think a stored low pressure warning has to do with a P0308 misfire code, you’d have timing related codes and noises one would think. They cannot check oil pressure on this engine via computer it has to be done with a manual gauge put on with an adapter so that diagnosis is fishy. Dash gauge just goes to middle at 8 psi and doesn’t show actual pressure.

Sometimes it’s tough to get a good diagnosis. When mine was misfiring and noisy the mechanic said I needed a new engine. I had to figure it out myself and found 4 loose spark plugs. Replaced those and noises and misfires were gone.

Ford oil pressure "gauges" are just like a light. Not an indication of pressure.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this exact same thing happen to my 11 last summer. Spent about 6k installed on the "new" re-man with an upgraded oil pump and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. It hurt the wallet but way cheaper than a new rig and I see a noticeable increase in performance. Also, spent another 1K on a few minor upgrades and replacements while they had the front end opened up such as the water pump/belt/hoses. It's basically all new in there.
I understand it's a nice feeling when it's all done I just don't see why more people don't go buy a good used engine and install.
You could even pull the timing cover and do the chain and gears while it's out of the vehicle which is a super easy job if you wanted to minimize the chances of future cam phaser and tensioner issues.
I guess most people don't do their own work and it's too much of a hassle to find someone who will. Easier just to have it towed in to the shop or dealer and pay the big bucks. I can go on Marketplace and buy eight or ten Vehicles today the complete vehicle for under $2,000 with a perfectly good running engine maybe with bad transmission or whatever. Or wrecked. I could swap the engine
Then sell parts from the rest of the vehicle and then sell what is left at scrap metal and come out actually making money.
I actually enjoy parting out vehicles.
I just parted out a Ford SUV fir over 3000. It wouldn't have been worth 2500 when it was running before I started taking Parts out on a good day I would have been lucky to get two thousand cash for it and would have taken forever to sell it. When parting it out, I have dozens of people contacting me wanting to buy the same Parts over and over.
I had an engine fail oh, a V10, a few years back in a Ford truck. I was in a super hurry to replace it and I lucked into a great deal on an engine and transmission combo. When I was done I I almost made money on the engine swap because the transmission I got was so valuable.
Some people value their time more than I do I guess. I value money much more than time, aggravation, or convenience.