Engine stops. Just stops.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Today my '07 Expedition engine just stopped at highway speeds. Reminded me of the rev limiter on my Honda S2000 but I was just cruising.

10 minutes on the side of the road and I could start again and the car drove normally another 50 miles and did it again!

Another 10 minutes and off again but she shut off this time after about 10 miles!

Any clues? I'm 150 miles from home at the mercy of the local Ford dealer...

-- Chuck

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Find fuel pump relay and see if you can change it with another with the same # on it from under the hood

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the old control unit and pump if you are able. If you are mechanically inclinded you will be able to determine what failed once you test the pump back at home. It seems like they are tossing parts at it but on the other hand I don't know if the control module has a short lifespan similar to the fuse boxes. Doesn't hurt if it isn't expensive.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once they had the tank off I couldn't think of a reason not to replace all the parts. 150 miles from home didn't help. Back home with it now and need to deal with other (unrelated) issues 'cuz I ain't paying $50G for a new one! :) The only reason I have this truck is to pull my camper a half dozen weekends a year.

-- Chuck

BigChinook

Reaction score
So was it the fuel pump or the fuel relay switch under the hood that was fried....mine is having the same issues...what did you end up paying for all 3 repairs?

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cost me about $1100 at the big Ford dealer in Groveport. Ricart? (I'm a Clevelander.)

Relay under the hood was fine. Wiring at the fuel pump was fried with insulation melted off.

Had to pull the fuel tank. Replaced the circuit board, pump, filter, and some wiring. I think labor was the major cost pulling the fuel tank and all.

Knocking on wood, but she seems cured.

-- Chuck