Exhaust manifold 98 Exp 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fourty03

Reaction score
Hello all...
I was wondering if what's showing in the pic is any area of concern.
I currently am in the start process of tracking down this machine gun noise type exhaust leak..

Thanks in advance!

tu3y5a3e.jpg
yru3ypaj.jpg

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Keep looking and you may find a stud thats completely broken off due to the rust but generally it makes a "ticking" sound if the exhaust manifold leaks.

If there is an ignition miss associated with the noise you may have ejected a spark plug.

A deeper exhaust note or what I might consider a machine gun sound may be further down the exhaust. Maybe at the collector or egr plumbing.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had problems with the studs at the end of the manifolds that hold the catalytic converters in place breaking off. I have had none of the manifold studs themselves break off yet, but I replaced the drivers side set of those cat studs (fixed the problem through last summer) and now I need to do the passenger side studs this spring. Hope that helps.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If all 8 of your studs on either side look like that then I don't think that is where your problem lies. Like DJ said, look for a small hole.

Last edited:

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar noise before replacing them. And two of my studs were broke on passenger side on the rear closest to the flange.
Pic below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,243
OP
OP
fourty03

fourty03

Reaction score
Thank you everyone and I will look more closely (and will have more pics) once the weather gets better.
I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

06KR

Reaction score
You should be able to see the nut and top of stud missing. Manifold leaks seem to be a common F150/expedition issue. Fixing them is not a fun project. Had to replace head gaskets on my 99 and replaced manifold studs at the same time. That project made me question my sanity.

OP
OP
fourty03

fourty03

Reaction score
I started to pull off the passenger side manifold - and for the life of me, got dam!! I am stuck at the bottom three studs / bolts...

I cannot get a socket to bite. It seems just with a blow of the wind, some of the rust comes off the bolts and the bolts change shape.

I bought a MAPP torch and heated up the area up - and it worked for the top row - but no the bottom. Im using all sorts of sockets, extensions, vice... etc

I've been at it for a couple day doing a bunch of stuff to the expo.. Balljoints, tie rods... next is the pitman arm and Idler arm. For the moment, Im stuck at the manifold and my mind is going stale.

Does anyone have any advice - something I have not tried yet? I do not have enough clearance on the passenger side bottom row of bolts / studs to hammer on a socket, or to weld something onto the bolts.

Thanks in Advance!