Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I to was scared of the ecoboost but mine hasn’t had any issues in 12k miles. The fuel economy is subpar when under load and I tow fairly often. But right now I’m visiting some family and decided to fly and then rented a 2019 Tahoe. I can tell you that the 5.3 is slow compared to the ecoboost and I miss the power. Even running 87 octane in our heavier Expedition Max, it will flat out leave the Tahoe in the dust. The Tahoe has just over 6k miles and my first fuel up after 300 miles driving was 15.8mpg in the Tahoe which consisted of 60% at 68-70mpg on cruise on flat highway, 35% sprinted city driving and 5% town/country roads. Driving the same way, speed and roads in our Expedition probably would have set me close in mpg but the Tahoe would be slightly better, keep in mind the Tahoe is running P265/65r18 Michelin Energy Saver tires and I run LT275/65r18 Goodyear Duratracs on my Expedition. Everything else is just so much bettering the Expedition. More cup holders, more interior storage space, more passenger room, individual second row seats(at least in my limited), not the 60/40 split like the Tahoe, make accessing third row easier with stuff(car seats and kids toys, garbage cans etc.) in the second row. The ride is better in the Expedition too. I could go on and on about how much better my Expedition is or I could tell you to go sit in and drive all of the choices and pick the one you like best

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ride in the gm models isn't as good, the interior in the ford is more up to date.the power in the ford is comparable, however, mine is near 500 horsepower and at least that much torque for not a huge investment, try getting those numbers with the chevy etc.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the comments and recommendations. My reason for shying away from any turbo is my disdain for unnecessary technology. I usually try to buy the most basic, simple stuff that works for me. I view the turbo as just more to break, more to maintain and simply more stuff than I need.

Not a fan of GM, but I'll check out what they have to offer and compare the complexity of servicing, durability and that stuff. That's what sells me, not the bells and whistles, technology or ride quality. If I could by a new 96 Bronco today, I would in a minute.

Really just comes down to your use case. If you need to move people, you can't beat a minivan. If you need cargo room or towing capability, the Denali XL and Suburban are are probably the next best alternative, but only with the 6.2 if you're towing heavy loads. If you don't need heavy towing capability, the Durango might work. Point is, knowing how you're using the Expedition would improve suggestions.

Personally, I would get a used Expedition with a decent warranty if reliability is your concern. When the warranty expires, trade it in for another.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want high reliability and less gizmos get a 2014 Expedition with the 5.4L Triton.

What many don’t realize is the 5.4 has a deep skirt cast iron truck block and heavy duty forged internals......it’s a 400k mile bottom end. If you take the timing set woes away/ bulletproof it’s one of the most durable motors around, moreso than the aluminum 5.0 or Ecoboost. That would put you at only 4-5 years old and low mileage for a decent cost and max longevity since you don’t seem to be a GM fan.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to see proof..... Isn't it Black Bear?

Sorry yes. Black bear. Getting an extra 80hp out of a naturally aspirated granny programmed big V8 isn’t particularly difficult. Heck a proper air intake will add 15.

Plati

Reaction score
Sorry yes. Black bear. Getting an extra 80hp out of a naturally aspirated granny programmed big V8 isn’t particularly difficult. Heck a proper air intake will add 15.
If a "proper air intake" adds 15 hp
... Why doesn't Ford built it that way?

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While the GM redesign is 43 years old, I think it was a poorly executed mild refresh. The design is ancient. I would not consider the GM SUVs until the full redesign is out.

I have checked with my mechanic and he said the 3.5 EB is an excellent engine. I have checked with owners who have owned this engine for at least 3 years and they are very happy with their vehicles. My 2019 has been problem free, but only has 4,000 miles, so i don't have a long track record. It tows very well, much better than my 2008 Sequoia.

rscpa

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Limited Expedition. We looked at them all and drove all on the same day. Yukon, Suburban and Expedition. Honestly, no comparison in the driveability and the options offered. Chevy and GMC drive like trucks and my old 2012 Expedition. We have had a 2003 and a 2012 Expedition with virtually no repair bills. None other than a window motor going out.

From the outside, my opinion is the GMC and Suburban look better. Inside cabin, features and the driving, no comparison. The new 10 speed transmission shifts flawlessly. Granted my old 2012 Expy was good, but the refinements in the 2019 blow it out of the water. Sure, that should happen in seven years, but didn't have that feeling with the GMC and Chevy. Both of those drove and felt like newer versions of my old Expedition, if that makes any sense. Just took the new Expy on the road last weekend thru New Mexico and put about 750 miles on it and averaged 21.6 mpg at 80-85. NM has hills and is not totally flat. In my opinion, that stat is insane for such a big vehicle loaded down (not towing, but back end filled up). EXPY MPG is several above the others and best description is that it is jumpy when pressing the accelerator.

When comparing all of them, the Expedition just kept coming to the top. Sure, i was a little biased having owned two of them. But I really wanted to like the GMC better than I did. Nothing wrong with it, just wasn't the best purchase option, in my opinion.

Side note, if you need a good purchase option. Call Vernon auto group in Vernon TX. They have multiple auto lines. They sell their vehicles at Dealer Cost less dealer holdback plus $750. My local Ford dealer wasn't doing jack for me until I told them I was going to purchase out of town and gave them the Vernon deal and they matched it. Plus they gave me $1,000 more on trade in. That is ok with me as Vernon doesn't give full value until they see the trade-in which is understandable. IM me and I can give you the name and number of the salesman I talked to.

Hopefully I didn't run a foul of some board rule on the last paragraph. If I did, I apologize and you can edit it out.

Last edited: