Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No-one has mentioned the notorious frame beaming issues that plague the Suburban/Yukon. My friend has one and he has had it back to dealer a dozen times and they told him they built the frames too stiff and that it bucks on every bump as the frame flexes and translates that bounce to the passenger compartment. He said if you drive it over 2 hours it almost makes you sick. I'm not sure if they are all that way, but they can't fix his and he bought it brand new and the only fix he has is to drop the tire pressure wayyyy below recommended pressures, but then he can't haul anything because the tires are down. He's not a happy camper.....

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both of those drove and felt like newer versions of my old Expedition, if that makes any sense. Just took the new Expy on the road last weekend thru New Mexico and put about 750 miles on it and averaged 21.6 mpg at 80-85. NM has hills and is not totally flat. In my opinion, that stat is insane for such a big vehicle loaded down (not towing, but back end filled up). EXPY MPG is several above the others and best description is that it is jumpy when pressing the accelerator.

It does. Because they are 5 year old designs. The new model comes out in 90 days or so.

FYI the Tahoe/Yukon 6.2 gets around 19-23 highway under real world (non towing) conditions.

Curious. What’s the last GM truck you owned?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does. Because they are 5 year old designs. The new model comes out in 90 days or so.

This is a maybe, noone knows when gm will release info on the 2021 models and the la auto show is about 90 days out.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"No-one has mentioned the notorious frame beaming issues that plague the Suburban/Yukon. My friend has one and he has had it back to dealer a dozen times and they told him they built the frames too stiff and that it bucks on every bump as the frame flexes and translates that bounce to the passenger compartment. He said if you drive it over 2 hours it almost makes you sick. I'm not sure if they are all that way, but they can't fix his and he bought it brand new and the only fix he has is to drop the tire pressure wayyyy below recommended pressures, but then he can't haul anything because the tires are down. He's not a happy camper....."

"beaming" ?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry yes. Black bear. Getting an extra 80hp out of a naturally aspirated granny programmed big V8 isn’t particularly difficult. Heck a proper air intake will add 15.

what would be the "proper air intake" for the 2004 Ford 5.4L 2V SSV?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want a viable alternative, id recommend a minivan. If you cant do that, test a kia telluride, mazda cx9 or hyundai palisade. They drive as good as the expy so better than any other big truck, they have about the same amount or first and sec row space, more third row space than anything but the expy or a minvan. If you need a big v8, get a durango or wait for the new gms. Though the other big suvs are "nice enough", they are honestly just too expensive for them not to be as modern as they should, esp the gms. The expy is expensive but feels the price tag though and properly equipped are actually kinda a bargain. So id recommend almost any crossover over an expy competitor honestly.

Personally, I would not consider a minivan a viable alternative. A major reason I sold my my minivan and got my (used) Expedition was ground clearance. I was not looking for an offroad racer, just wanted to some reasonable offroad worthiness - which i got by going from less than 5" inches of ground clearance to nearly 9". the only thing i lost in the swap was fuel mileage.