Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
As mentioned once - measure your garage if that’s where it will live. A max wouldn’t fit in ours, so the standard length was the only way we could go.

if it fit the garage or is going to live outside, then get what you’d like. Driving the max has no different in feel from the standard model.

spanz

Reaction score
Glad to hear someone on the same situation. Garage space for me will be severely limited if I go Max so really debating if I have to or not.

The large Yakima roof rack seems like a pretty good solution.

I goes I can put on of the kids in the 3rd for for the week and see how limited the cargo space is.

it would not be impossible to extend the length of the garage! either a bump out on the front side of the car, or move the garage doors out a foot or two on the tail end of the car. Moving the doors would be mostly trim work, and you could re-use the existing garage doors.

Grizguy

Reaction score
The additional 18 inches makes a HUGE difference inside. Not much difference driving I have had both reg and max expeditions.. Street parking a bit tough when others park close to your lines..

and

the guy with the f150.. I have had the OLD f150 with the 8 ft bed. f150 extended with the 6 1/2 foot bed.. f 350 with full crew and 8 foot bed.. several f350 duellys with standard / extended / full crew with 9 foot dump beds. The larger trucks were a bit tougher in the parking lot..

Grizguy

Reaction score
Oh yea the garage.. The f350s don't fit my wife's garage. They have to go the the back garage. The MAX JUST fits in the house garage. I hung a tennis ball that touches the windshield.. 6 inches in front to the cabinets.. less than a foot to the overhead door..

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yea the garage.. The f350s don't fit my wife's garage. They have to go the the back garage. The MAX JUST fits in the house garage. I hung a tennis ball that touches the windshield.. 6 inches in front to the cabinets.. less than a foot to the overhead door..

Be careful when someone bumps the hatch button and it scrapes paint off on the garage door. I put a parking aid on my garage floor so the cars 6 feet up from the rear so the hatch doesn't contact the garage door on opening.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be careful when someone bumps the hatch button and it scrapes paint off on the garage door. I put a parking aid on my garage floor so the cars 6 feet up from the rear so the hatch doesn't contact the garage door on opening.

I want to see a picture of your garage @Deadman ! Six feet up in my garage would put it in my laundry room!

I adjusted the hatch to not lift high enough to hit garage door but have come close to knocking myself out at the grocery store by walking into the lowered hatch. Made the decision I'll "heal" quicker than the hatch but wish it had a sensor to prevent it lifting to high when blocked. (Can't believe I used to have manual window handles and felt lucky to have am/fm radio!)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to see a picture of your garage @Deadman ! Six feet up in my garage would put it in my laundry room!

I adjusted the hatch to not lift high enough to hit garage door but have come close to knocking myself out at the grocery store by walking into the lowered hatch. Made the decision I'll "heal" quicker than the hatch but wish it had a sensor to prevent it lifting to high when blocked. (Can't believe I used to have manual window handles and felt lucky to have am/fm radio!)

The front of the garage has a kitchen and cabinets for hosting the kids parties out there. :)

Navi.jpeg

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TLDR;

While it is often the size when driving in tight confines like parking, U-turns and off-road--but the wheelbase length makes a difference too.
I drive Tahoes and Suburbans all the time, and the difference due to wheelbase is quite substantial. Never driven a MAX but I would guess most of the same rules apply--but if you need more space and don't off-road as much the extra space under air and extra weight is worth it. YMMV.
But if I don’t need more space and if I did off-road much, I’d buy a Land Cruiser

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a pool noodle, cut it into 2’ lengths, and then cut them lengthwise (into semi-circular strips). Tape them to the garage door where it would contact the hatch and problem solved.