Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a standard length expedition with bucket seats, two kids, one in a booster and one rear facing and likely another on the way at the end of the year.

Curious what others do with 3 kids… Embrace the shorter length and easier parking and get a rooftop carrier for long trips or suck it up and go max or navigator L?

I’m set Bon bucket seats and I love the 59 cubic ft of cargo right now but could probably do just fine tossing our booster in the smaller 3rd row seat and having 45ish cubic feet and getting a Thule but not 100% confident here!

Very likely swapping out for a Navigator but for daily driving I’d prefer the non L version just not sure that’s the smartest move… saving $2-3k would be nice too.

Last edited:

Blue87GT

Reaction score
We got the Max for our needs, with twin babies and a 9 and 10 year old--simply for the increased space to put the stroller in...plus groceries, etc. A twin stroller takes up a bunch of space!

minichunks

Reaction score
I didn't find much difference in driving/parking the max vs the standard length. There's a huge difference if you're talking the F150 Crew with the 5.5' bed and 6.5' bed, but not so much on the Expy. My F150 crew 6.5' turns like the titanic. I've got an F350 Dually with an 8' bed that is easier to park than the 150.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with several others that there are lots of advantages to the Max length and really no downsides. I came from an Explorer and shopped the Expedition vs the F150 and even the Max is WAY easier to maneuver especially in parking lots. You'll hardly ever notice unless you street park all the time would be my guess.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a standard length expedition with bucket seats, two kids, one in a booster and one rear facing and likely another on the way at the end of the year.

Curious what others do with 3 kids… Embrace the shorter length and easier parking and get a rooftop carrier for long trips or suck it up and go max or navigator L?

I’m set Bon bucket seats and I love the 59 cubic ft of cargo right now but could probably do just fine tossing our booster in the smaller 3rd row seat and having 45ish cubic feet and getting a Thule but not 100% confident here!

Very likely swapping out for a Navigator but for daily driving I’d prefer the non L version just not sure that’s the smartest move… saving $2-3k would be nice too.
I have two kids and for 16 yrs a local daily grand parent. Land Cruiser was too small replaced it with a Sequoia. In some short trip cases the oldest sat right side 3rd row 1/2 the seat put down. Typically so dog had a spot. Longer trips I specifically had a 2nd row bench so I could sit 5 and have gear / dog space. The Expedition replaced the Sequoia and now its sports shuttle duty with 3-4 pre teen kids. 3 up they typically choose 2nd row bench every time. 4 up they typically flip the center down and do 2+2.
If I had captains chairs and three kids? I’d get a bench 2nd row standard length

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For us, the decider was what would fit in the garage. We get wicked hailstorms here in the summer, and I've had too many vehicles written off due to hail damage. Here's the aftermath of a hailstorm in July last year:

fStFXMjpVLnxrDc-800x450-noPad.jpg

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and getting a Thule

After all the testing I did, I found the best fit on the shorty Expy is the Yakima Skybox Carbonite 21. It has a wider span than the Thule, so you can leave the Expy crossbars in the factory setting.

With a Thule, you have to move the rear crossbar to its more forward position (about 16"). That to me was too unstable. I preferred the wider stance for stability.

It's the unit in my profile photo. Fits with 1/4" clearance to the rear hatch opening.

roxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FVjaSKV5.png

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We picked up a '20 Max from the dealer in January.

I drive a '20 Lariat F150 6.5' box as my daily, my Wife drives the Max.

We sold a '17 Mazda CX9 7 seater, Mazdas largest but yet still quite small "SUV".

My wife never likes driving my truck and was really worried going into a schoolbus (Max).

We have 3 kids; 1 yr, 4 yr, 9 years. We purchased the Max because of the room needed in comparison to how tight the CX9 was and the potential to have a 4th child in the near future.

I was so impressed with the room in the Max, specifically when all rows are folded down. I fit a brand new sectional couch with ease while my F150 would have needed 2 trips, even with the larger 6.5' box.

That said, my wife says the Max drives much smaller than it is. I feel the same way. Ford did a great job with this SUV.

We looked at both middle buckets and bench. Ultimately, we went with bench and know the buckets would have been an issue.
All 3 kids are in the middle row bench with plenty of comfort and room to spare. We also have the built in infotainment in the headrests so they can watch their movies/shows.

Since we have the bench, we typically keep the 3rd row down 90% of the time and there is SO much room. We've put bikes in there, toys, supplies, groceries etc etc.

You would regret not going Max IMO.